NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
FEATHERS GORLESTON Index
128 HIGH STREET
FEATHERS PLAIN
St ANDREWS WARD FULL LICENCE -
Gt. YARMOUTH LICENCE REGISTERS Y/CJ/31 & Y/CJ/32 (February 1903 - February 1953) & PS 18/14/2 (1953 - 1973) & PS 18/14/3 (9th February 1973 to 14th February 1980)
BELLS of Gorleston - as documented 1819 & 1824
STEWARD & PATTESON Leased from Bells from 1845 - Purchased 26.08.1865
WATNEY MANN  
-  
ENTERPRISE INNS Trading under the name Craft Union by 2017
Licensees :
-  
WILLIAM MORFEE
(William Morfer 1836)
(Died Q4 1853 - age about 82)
1830 - 1839
JOHN SALMON
according to Pigot
1839
A. WOODS 1844
JOHN READ 1845
Mrs MARY CHILVERS 1846 - 1850
JOHN ROOF
(Died Q3 1875 - age 86)
1850
ROBERT GEORGE
Age 28
1851
JEREMIAH HOGGETT
(Died Q4 1888 - age 71)
1854 - 1855
THOMAS HARDY 1856
EDWARD BONNEY
& shipwright
Age 40 in 1861
Went to SUFFOLK FISHERY
1858 - 1863
CHRISTOPHER SPASHETT 1863 - 1874
WILLIAM HAYNES MACEY
age 48 in 1881
1875 - 1886
EDWIN WATTS 1888
CHARLES ROLFE
Died Q1 1896 - age 55
1890 - 1896
HARRY SYMONDS 1900 - 1901
SAMUEL WILLIAM PEARSON
(Died June 1938 - age 85)
by 1903
GEORGE ARNOLD MOULES
(Died March 1919 - age 33)
10.01.1913
LILLIAN MAY WILSON MOULES
Married Ernest Hunn Q1 1922
11.08.1916
ERNEST HERBERT HUNN
(Died March 1947 - age 49)
04.04.1922
LILLIAN MAY WILSON HUNN
(Died March 1966 - age 80)
08.04.1947
DOUGLAS JAMES HARBOARD
(Died December 1976 - age 52)
01.10.1964
JOHN LEONARD BAXTER
(John & Janice)
31.05.1966
- 1980
DAVID LEGGETT 1980 - 1991
CRAIG APPLEGATE 1991 - 2016
JULIE & TERRY EARING 01.2017 - 03.2017
PHILIP TAYLOR 20.03.2017 -





Entry No 195 in Licence Register
c1950
c1950

Conveyed to Bells Brewery or their ancestors 9th October 1792.

Frontage rebuilt 1870

Also given as the THREE FEATHERS.

Damaged by enemy action during WWII.

 

Linda O'Carroll advises 09.01.2005 :-

Christopher Spashett (1802-74) was an agent for the Short Blue
fleet from about 1854 when it moved from Barking to Gorleston.
He was a lifelong friend of Sam Hewett of Barking (who owned the Short Blue). Spashett, a smackowner, had gone bust and the job was given to help him out.
I visited Gorleston in 1992 the house had recently been refurbished, historical fittings having been totally removed.
However the landlord gave the following information:
On the left front corner there was originally a door, and also one round
the corner on the right. The right hand door led to a small pot and jug room. The left hand door led to the main bar, which within living memory had the original Victorian high closed-in bar, with tiny doorway for serving. The left and right-hand bar-rooms were very small. By 1992 it was all open-plan with no original fittings. It was thought in 1992 that the general shape of the building and windows were original. The building was painted pink at that time.
You will know, of course, from the pre-war generation, that it was
shameful for elderly and poor alcoholics to visit the pot and jug room, which was why outdoor access, situated discreetly at the side of the building, was usually provided. Old women, wearing men's caps and carrying a jug to be filled, used to sneak round there after dark for a refill.


See page 80 of Gt. Yarmouth in Old Postcards -
first published 1992