NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
KINGS HEAD Gt. YARMOUTH K index
Kings Head
17 MARKET PLACE
ROW 32
St. NICHOLAS WARD FULL LICENCE CLOSED
Gt. YARMOUTH LICENCE REGISTERS Y/CJ/31 & Y/CJ/32 ( February 1903 - February 1953 ) & PS 18/14/2 ( 1953 - 1973 )
WILLIAM HENRY UTBERT 1832 Register of Electors
BULLARDS  
LACON & Co by 1928
WHITBREAD  
Licensees :
-
-  
SAMUEL FOREMAN
( Move from Angel to Kings Head reported 26.05.1750)
May 1750
-  
JOSEPH BECKETT 1830
JOHN WILLIAM RINGER March 1832
WILLIAM GARDINER 1836
WILLIAM DURRANT 1839
GEORGE BARHAM 1841
JANE ANN SNASDELL 1845
WIGG & SMITH
see below
1850
JOHN MAINPRICE 1851 - 1863
JOHN CHARLES MANPRICE
wine merchant
1871
JOHN W FRENCH
wine merchant
( Confirmed at Railway Hotel, Southtown Road 1886 & 1892
 - running 2 houses ? )
1881 - 1891
-  
WILLIAM JAMES PERRY 1900
WILLIAM JOSEPH PERRY by 1903
JAMES PRATT FEEK 15.04.1910
ALBERT JAMES 10.01.1913
ARTHUR JAMES PLANE 03.03.1914
ARTHUR WESLEY 09.11.1920
FREDERICK WILLIAM SPINK 22.07.1924
HARRY BURGESS 21.10.1941
ARTHUR JAMES MANNALL 11.12.1945
JONATHAN LEONARD LOCKWOOD 08.03.1946
WALTER WILLIAM SMITH 23.08.1955
JOHN RICHARD McBRIDE 24.07.1962
GEORGE HENRY HUGGINS 06.11.1962
JOHN RICHARD McBRIDE 05.11.1963
KENNETH MATTHEWS 07.02.1964
JOHN RICHARD McBRIDE 12.12.1968

In 1851 Martha Smith ( 60 ) is given as a Landed Proprietor, living at Row 20 with her daughter Martha Smith, ( 29 ) whose occupation is barmaid. The only other occupant is Thomas John WIGG, aged 10, nephew of the head of household.

 
Located on the South side of Row 29, Howard Street to Market Place.

On Friday 30th March 1832 about 70 gentlemen met at the Kings Head Inn to celebrate Mr. J. W. Ringer becoming its landlord. The chair was taken at seven o'clock by two worthies of the right sort who gave `Our Gracious Sovereign' and other toasts. The singing was of the first-rate eminence and the evening passed with the greatest conviviality. The wines and liquors were of the first order and the house altered for the better accommodation of his friends reflecting great credit to Mr. Ringer, the spirited proprietor.

George Barham, for many years Head Waiter at the KINGS ARMS, Dereham, announced 12th June 1841 that he had taken the Kings Head, Commercial and Family Hotel. He pledged the comfort and convenience of those Friends who favoured him with their support.

Closed for the duration of WWII according to a letter dated 22.08.1941.

Reopened 28.12.1943.

Renamed GROWLERS 5th May 1971.
Became the MARKET TAVERN July 1989.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

See p. 73 of `Gt. Yarmouth Revisited ' pub. 1996