NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
HARE BERGH APTON index
- CLAVERING HUNDRED - CLOSED by 1803
  LODDON & CLAVERING Register taken  8th September 1794
Licensees :
-
THOMAS BOYCE 1794
-  

John Ling advises January 2005......

The ADAM & EVE existed prior to 1767, the year that it is recorded as changing its name to The HARE. It was originally located up a track to the south side of Threadneedle Street (Opposite a loke, that still exists, west of The Manor).

Some time between 1767 and 1803 it moved to a house at the north end of The Street, but had disappeared by 1803.
The land on which it stood was purchased by Norfolk County Council in 1919 to become farm smallholdings.

The building itself became a dwelling for one of the smallholdings. One of the families living there were the Alexanders. It was demolished at some stage after the Second World War and the site is now in the middle of a field, with no trace of the building left.

All this information comes from the research of the local historian and author Geoffrey Kelly, to appear in the publication, proposed for May 2005, of The Book of Bergh Apton (Halsgrove) in which detailed references will appear.

Thanks to Geoffrey Kelly and John Ling.