NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
FOX & HOUNDS BESTHORPE index
TURNPIKE ROAD SHROPHAM HUNDRED BEERHOUSE ? CLOSED 1923
St MARGARETS BREWERY Leased by Mrs Arnold of St Margarets Brewery pre 1886 to....??     ** see below
CROWN BREWERY of East Dereham - Appears in record of deeds 1814 to 1922
(but date of acquisition yet to be found)
STEWARD & PATTESON  Purchased 1922 : Closed 1923
Licensees :
-
-  
DAVID WOODROW
& blacksmith & farmer 12 acres
age 44 in 1881
* 1875 - 1883
Mrs M A E ARNOLD 1886
JAMES BLAZEY * 1888 - * 1890
HENRY BLAZEY
age 24 - Brother of James
1891
JESSE GREEN * 1896
 DAVID ARTHUR CHILVERS
& carter
age 56 in 1901
* 1900 - * 1904
HARRY MARK EASTELL
(given as agricultural labourer in 1911)
* 1905 - 1908
JOHN GARNER
age 58 in 1911
1911 - 1916 
 .  
EDWIN JAMES TEBBITT
(died Q4 1924 - age 68)
1922
-  
-  

 

** Mrs M A E Arnold was given notice to quit the Beerhouse by Michaelmas next, Old Style in notice dated 2nd April 1886, signed by Sarah Ann Woodrow. H Whitbread of St Margaret's Brewery responded 03.04.1886, complaining of short notice.

Mrs Sarah Ann Woodrow, wife of David Woodrow, farmer, leased the house to Mrs Mary Elizabeth Arnold, for a period of 7 years at an annual rent of £38.
The lease documents have an attachment regarding a maintenance clause on the property, the heading reads
` F R WHITBREAD - BREWERY - NORWICH'
and is signed by F R Whitbread.)
First draft of lease is dated 1st September 1886.

Offered To Let, February 1892 - Apply F.R. Whitbread, St. Margaret's Brewery.

Charles Pearce owned the Crown Brewery, it was the property of COOPER BROWN & Co by the time of sale to S&P in 1922