NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WHITE HORSE BRANCASTER STAITHE Index
MAIN ROAD
PE31 8BY
SMITHDON HUNDRED FULL LICENCE 01485 210262
SMITHDON, DOCKING & BROTHERCROSS LICENCE REGISTERS PS 13/4/1 & 2 ( 1949 to 1975 )
BIDWELLS Purchased 1st April 1905 by E C Quilter - Continued trading as Bidwells
BULLARDS   
WATNEY MANN    
CHEF & BREWER   
BRENT WALKER    
CLIFF NYE Trading as Anglian Country Inns by 2014
Licensees :
-  
SAMUEL DOWDY
age 73 in 1841
( Died Q4 1854 )
1836 - 1846
JOHN TEBBLE
age 44 in 1851
& brickmaker
1850 - 1858
LYDIA TEBBLE 1861
JOHN TEBBLE
Died Q1 1870 - age 63
1865 - 1870
LYDIA TEBBLE
Age 70
1871
ANNE TEBBLE 1872
WILLIAM WILLIAMSON 1875
ISAAC WINTERBONE
Age 68 in 1881 - Retired Sea Captain
1877 - 1883
JAMES SPOONER 1888
CHARLES JOHNSON 1890
FRANK BILLING
Age 32 in 1891
& plumber, painter, glazier...
1891 - 1912
ARTHUR SALTER 1916
CHARLES ANTHONY SALTER 1922 - 1929
WILLIAM GEORGE WILLIAMSON 1933
Mr & Mrs J. C. BOWMAN 1936
WILLIAM EDMUND HANCOCK
( Died Q1 1971 - Age 70 ? )
1937
KENNETH WYLIE PEARCE 03.06.1957
ALEX FELDMAN
(Died November 1988 - age 66)
09.09.1957
ROGER REID HILL 08.12.1969
G G SUTTON 05.04.1972
-  
CLIFF NYE 1997
JAMES NYE by 2014

Image by Pamela Farrell - 2005
2005

The original house became a private dwelling.
( Demolished 1964 )

The present building was built 1934.
The bar dates from 1934, but has been moved forward & extended.

An article in the Eastern Evening News 30.05.1936 credits the design to Donald C. Chastney, surveyor for Bullard & Sons Ltd and construction to R. G. Carter of Drayton. The sign was painted by Miss K. Skelton of Horsford. 3 single and 3 double bedrooms were provided for letting. ``The house includes a fine bar, a good smoke room, and a large lounge where parties of any number can be accommodated''.

Supper licence granted 09.12.1963

One of only 18 Norfolk public houses recommended by the Egon Ronay pub guide of 1969.

The house was renamed the LOBSTER POT in the early 1990's.

The new owner in 1997 reinstated the original name and by 1999 had added (grass roofed) hotel bedrooms, conservatory (Restaurant) and a terrace.


White Horse