NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WHALEBONE NEW CATTON Catton Index
Whalebone Index
144 MAGDALEN ROAD ST CLEMENT WITHOUT FULL LICENCE Tel : 01603 425482
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
RICHARD SEXTON
& carpenter
& brewer
Richard Sexton and Robert Lincoln were building cottages in the area c1817
EDWARD SEXTON by 1851
BULLARDS 1878
WATNEY MANN    
COURAGE from 14.01.1972
FREEHOUSE from August 1993 : Broadland Taverns Ltd.
Licensees :
RICHARD SEXTON
& brewer
age 55 in 1841
(died Q3 1849)
1830 - 1846
EDWARD SEXTON
& malster & brewer
age 34 in 1851
(died Q2 1880)
1850 - 1874
JOHN GRAVER
& cab proprietor
age 56 in 1881
(died Q3 1891)
13.10.1874
Convicted 30.12.1874 of supplying a Constable whilst on duty.
Fine 10/- plus £1/13/- costs or 14 days detention.
HARRY BUNN
age 30 in 1891
(died Q2 1902)
24.09.1890
CONSTANCE CATHERINE BUNN 06.05.1902
JEREMIAH ETHERIDGE WATERING 30.12.1902
WILLIAM HENRY WRIGHT 1907
GEORGE ARTHUR FOREMAN 12.10.1909
ARTHUR SANDALL 16.07.1912
BERTIE VICTOR NOBBS 05.04.1913
GEORGE HENRY BARRATT 14.07.1914
ERNEST BULLARD 04.02.1916
GEORGE HAMMOND 05.04.1916
FREDERICK WILLIAM COX 05.02.1924
GERTRUDE WARREN COX 20.11.1928
HERBERT ROBERT HOWARD 12.03.1929
Convicted 17.12.1942 on 2 cases of selling out of hours.
Fine £2/10/- on each case.
LUCY FLORENCE HOWARD 06.10.1953
REG KILBOURN 11.10.1966
ARTHUR BUTTERFIELD 12.03.1968
TERRY FLYNN 07.03.1972
PETER BRACK 22.11.1977
DEREK EDWARD CATTERMILL 21.11.1978
BRIAN JAMES MOORE 08.09.1981
DOUGLAS SIDNEY FAIRETT 12.02.1985
BRIAN DUNTHORNE 31.10.1989
TERENCE DOWSON & JOANNE GRIMMER 03.02.1993
SUE & MARK HILL (managers) 1993
KAREN & STEVE FISKE 1995
-  


January 2005

Dates from c1820.
Buildings on same site shown on a map dated 1824.
Included stables and a separate brewery.
First found named 1830.

As the WHALEBONE BREWERY 1865.

Beer mat supplied by Brian Clarke.
A beer mat from the 1970's
Image by Brian Clarke


House sold 1993 and operated to January 1995 when it was closed briefly for refurbishment. Reopened (officially) 29th March 1995
  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Early 19th C No 6 6 Yes
Archways knocked through side wall in public bar to bring old private accommodation within the public area.
Victorian bar fittings with small etched glass panels.
Separate bar and lounge.
Adjacent garage was originally a brewhouse and is reported to have the longest single oak beam in the country running its entire length.