NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WOODROW INN CAWSTON Index
NORWICH ROAD SOUTH ERPINGHAM HUNDRED BEERHOUSE  later
FULL LICENCE
CLOSED 10.04.1963
SOUTH ERPINGHAM LICENCE REGISTER PS 2/5/1 & PS 2/5/2 (3 Feb 1925 to 1975)
FREEHOUSE First supplied by Steward & Patteson during the year 1841 - 1842.
ARNOLDS See below (Probably on lease and sub-let to A E WOODROW)
FREEHOUSE? Prior to c1932 the house was owned by James Crompton Cheetham, Manor House, Cawston
MORGANS by 1934 (1932?)
BULLARDS 1st October 1961
Licensees :
-  
RICHARD ANDREWS 1756 - 1787
-  
WILLIAM EKE
(Previously a farmer at Edgefield. Unemployed and an Insolvent Debtor living in Norwich by February 1832)
1829 - 1830
JOHN CHAPMAN * to 1835?
ISAAC EASTON
(age 74 in 1851)
died Q1 1860
1835 - 1856
WILLIAM SAUNDERS
& farmer 30 acres
age 36 in 1861
(Wife Louisa died Q3 1866 - remarried to Mahala Flowerday Q4 1866)  Died Q1 1871 although still given as licensee in 1872.
1858 - 1871
Mrs MAHALA SAUNDERS
age 44
1871
WILLIAM PEARCE
& farmer 25 acres
age 45 in 1881
1875 - 1881
GEORGE FARROW
& farmer
1883 - 1888
WILLIAM LAXTON
& farmer
age 57 in 1891
died Q3 1891
1890 - 1891
Mrs SOPHIA LAXTON
(recorded as Susan Laxton 1892 & as Susan S Laxton in 1901 census, then age 66)
1891 - 1908
ELIJAH BARTLE
(Eliza Bartle given 1911)
1911 to 1927
MARTHA ANN BARTLE June 1927
HERBERT JECKELL 31.12.1930
ALFRED ERNEST HENRY LEE
(Brewers manager)
18.10.1932
JAMES BYRNE 05.02.1935
ERNEST JOHN SPURGEON PRATT 22.12.1936
PETER STANLEY ALBERT BERKLEY 09.07.1939
HARRY WALTER ELLIS 10.11.1942
JAMES WILLIAM GIFFORD 13.02.1945

Cawston - Woodrow - c1950
c1930

Site of a duel 21st August 1698.
Sir Henry Hobart fell mortally wounded by Oliver Le Neve.

House dates from 18thC.

Cawston Sheep Shew held here 25th August 1756, 28th August 1776, 30th August 1780 & 19th August 1781.

Mary Hardy mentions breakfasting and drinking tea here in 1783 and dining here in 1787.

Offered To Let from 10th October 1785
`That old and well accustomed house known as WOODROW HOUSE...with these premises, lately rebuilt and made very commodious, will also be lett about 70 acres of inclosed Arable Land near the house, and a Barn on the Farm. The Land has been in a regular Course of Husbandry, and is in good Condition. '

~

Labourers seeking higher wages held a rally here in 1790.

Shown on Bryants 1826 map.

William Eke informed his Friends and the Public that the Annual Show for Sheep, Wool, Neat Stock, Horses, &c. would be held on 26th August 1829.

Named WOOD ROW in Pigots 1830 directory

The Trustees ordered the sale of all the Mares, Cart Horses, Harness Mare, Cows, Homebreds, Young Sok (?), Swine, Agricultural Carriages, Implements and Harness, Household Furniture, Linen, Glass, China, Dairy and Brewing Utensils, at Cawston Woodrow, the premises occupied by Mr. John Chapman.

Mrs Mary Ann Elizabeth Arnold issued a rent demand 2nd April 1886 to Albert Edward Woodrow, living in adjoining cottage and running a blacksmiths shop.
A notice to quit was also given.
£6 was due for the year to October 1885 and a further £12 was due October 1886 for the Shop and Cottage. The rent (or lease) on the Beerhouse was given at £30 per annum. Note that the house was stated to have a 6 day licence.

In 1935 it was recorded that there were two curious trees growing near the bowling green...
Both produced twigs bearing leaves of three formations,
oak, beech & hornbeam.


Morgans sales 1960 -
28 barrels of beer
24 Spirits

Closure agreed at the First Joint Committee Meeting of Bullards and S&P 29th May 1962.
Sales given as 30 barrels of beer.
The tenant was said to be 64 years of age and to have been at the house for 17 years.

House closed and premises sold.
De-licensed 16th April 1963.