NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
FISHMONGERS ARMS CLEY index
HIGH STREET
EAST SIDE
HOLT HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED 10.10.1958
HOLT REGISTER TAKEN 30th September 1794 & HOLT LICENCE REGISTER PS 28/6/1  to PS 28/12/1 ( 1878 - c1962 )
FAKENHAM BREWERY Thomas Carleton
GREENE KING by 1908
STEWARD & PATTESON 04.02.1925
Licensees :
-
-  
ROBERT MATTHEW 1794
-  
THOMAS MEADOWS 1822
JOHN RAMM 1830
WILLIAM GIBBS
age 58 in 1851
1836 - 1861
Mrs A GIBBS
age 73
1865
JOHN BASTARD
master mariner
1868 - 1877
WILLIAM THOMAS GOLDEN HOWES by 1879 to 1884
ANNIE MARIA HOWES 23.08.1884
HENRY NASH PASHLEY 16.10.1886
FRANCIS KERRISON 13.10.1890
RICHARD WATTS 12.11.1900
ANNA WATTS 13.12.1909
HILTON PARKER PASHLEY 13.10.1933
NANCIE MARGARET EVERITT PASHLEY 21.03.1947
GEORGE W L BRAZIER 11.06.1954
JOHN LESLIE WHITTAKER 10.10.1958
to closure

norfolkpubs collection

A property auction was held here 20th June 1791
( FISHERMANS ARMS )

William Hardy dined here in 1792.

Sold in 1802 for the sum of £232

Offered for sale by auction Friday 25th February 1831.
Described as an extensive business with a long range of Stables attached, and other outbuildings, also a newly erected Brew-house, and Store-room, together with a Bowling Green, walled in, and an excellent Lead Pump, well supplied with water. Immediate possession.

When sold in 1843 for £400 it included a Brewhouse at the back, 2 Stables and a Cellar.

A Bowling Green, on the opposite side of the road is recorded from 1807 to 1957.The house was damaged by enemy action 26.11.1944

Sales in final year of trading : - 86 1/8 barrels of beer. Licence held by S&P from closure 1958 to 6th May 1959 when surrendered in favour of new house at Thorpe, Norwich - Removal confirmed May 1960.
( Thorpe house thought to be the CANARY, Heartsease, which opened 1961)

Converted to a private house called `Sunbeams'.
Pevsner, in BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND gives following description -
` On way from Church to Quay, Sunbeams was an Inn c1710 - 1720'