NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
QUEEN VICTORIA CLEY index
HIGH STREET
QUAY STREET
HOLT HUNDRED BEERHOUSE CLOSED c1902/3
HOLT LICENCE REGISTER PS 28/6/1  to PS 28/12/1 (1878 - c1962)
OLDHAM CARTER of Wereham
TRUNCH BREWERY Philip Primrose by 1883
Henry Primrose 1884
MORGANS Conveyed by Betsy Neal Primrose and Oldman Carter to Morgans 30th September 1895
Licensees :
-
BARTHOLOMEW JARY
Described 1832 as a Beer Shop in the Street
* 1832 - * 1836
MARY ANN JARY
age 60 in 1851
(Jeary 1850)
* 1839 - * 1851
STEPHEN ......(?) 1861
MARTIN LUBBOCK
(Lubbock Martin 1875)
1865 - 1875
JOHN THOMAS ANDERSON
(James Anderson given 1877)
by 1877 to 1888
THOMAS COZENS 11.10.1888
JAMES HIGH 08.12.1890
JAMES HARVEY 19.10.1891
HENRY JABEZ THORNTON 12.11.1900
to closure


Opened in 1829, converted from three dwellings.
New frontage was added later in the 19thC.

Stood immediately west of the old arch in the High Street and next to the GEORGE INN. Water was supplied to the Victoria from a pump within the yard of the George Inn.

Known locally as the HOLE IN THE WALL.

Licence not renewed 09.02.1903

 

The Clubroom was used for adult education classes up to c1910.