NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
KINGS ARMS HOTEL CROMER index
HIGH STREET NORTH ERPINGHAM HUNDRED - -
  Owned by William Hardy of Letheringsett 1840 /1841
Licensees :
   
ISAAC ALSOP by 1767 - 1790
THOMAS SANDERSON 1792
MARY SANDERSON 1795 - 1799
THOMAS HARRISON 1822 - 1830
Above entries are for the KINGS ARMS
SAMUEL SIMONS * 1836
WILLIAM HARRISON  1839
Above entries apply to the PIG & WHISTLE
CHARLES LOYNES 1839



Known as GOAT'S HOUSE from John Goat who was a landowner in the early 1700's.

Named the KINGS ARMS in 1767 with Isaac Alsop paying rates.
In 1790 he went bankrupt and absconded.

340 gallons of gin were auctioned here in 1768.

The premises were advertised for sale in the Norwich Mercury of 18th October 1828, then under the name of the CROWN. A small brewery was included in the sale.

By 1836 the house was known as the PIG & WHISTLE.
But Pigot still names it the Kings Arms in 1839 as does the 1840/1 Register of Electors.

Became the CROWN & ANCHOR by 1845, following the arrival of Charles Loynes in 1839.