|Mr EDWARD SMITH
to 1776 ?
|WILLIAM RUMBALL ?
||by June 1776
||1794 - 1803
( Went to Brandon Chequers Inn )
|to May 1808
||1816 - 1822
||1830 - 1839
age 52 in 1851
|1845 - 1858
||1861 - 1871
||1875 - 1877
|WASHINGTON ATLANTICUS SPECK
||1879 - 1888
|Mrs MARY A C SPECK
||1890 - 1892
||1900 - 1901
|SYDNEY ERNEST COLE
|FRANCIS HENRY THOMAS TIMMS
|CLARA AGNES TIMMS
|WILLIAM GEORGE CRUMP
|WILLIAM ROBERT KEMP
Cock Fighting events held here 11th to 13th January 1758
Mr Edward Smith occupied the house from September 1758.
The Norfolk Chronicle of 20th April 1776 advised that William Rumball, from the
Hingham, was to take over the Crown at Downham Market.
The Norfolk Chronicle of 22nd June 1776 advised that `William Jackson having taken the
.....humbly solicits the favours of all those who were friends of the house in
Mr. Smiths time....'
For sale by auction 13th July 1790
For sale by Private Contract August 1802, to be entered in at Michaelmas.
Advertised again 4th September 1802, with possession Michaelmas or
` A well accustomed Inn, situated in the middle of Town, which is the Key to
the North, and by which passes one of the finest Rivers of England, viz. the
Ouze, which is productive of a great increase of trade and commerce.
The House is equal ( if not superior ) in every point of comfort and
accommodation to any other house in town, with pleasant Bowling Green and
good pasture ground containing about 15 acres...... '
Offered to Let August 1803.
Then in occupation of Mr. John Head who intended retiring from the
House included 4 Parlours, Bar, Kitchen, Cellars, large Dining room, 12
roomy Chambers and servants rooms. Stabling for 60 horses also 18 acres
or thereabouts of rich pasture and arable land including a fish pond -
all at the back of the premises a few yards from the back gate.
A three day sale of the effects of Mr. T. Smith commenced here Tuesday 17th
The sale was of the Entire Household of elegant furniture including 30
feather beds, choice wines & spirits, neat Post Chaises,12 Seasoned Horses,
30-40 tons of hay and 2 cows.
Magistrates met here in the 1800's.
The house featured in food riots of 1816.
John Sterne was indicted for larceny, having demanded cheese from
William Oakes of Downham. It was said that on 20th May 1816, Sterne had
been accompanied by a mob and demanded cheese, which was given in fear.
Licensee Samuel Johnson gave evidence that Sterne had arrived at the
Crown Inn and divided the cheese amongst the mob. Sterne was found
John Sterne, Thomas Thody and John Pearson were indicted for breaking
open the Crown Inn, together with other persons, and assaulting Samuel
Johnson, stealing meat, beer and other provisions. Thody and Pearson had
been foremost in the party who broke into the Crown and were found
guilty. Stearne had only been noticed in the house when he produced some
cheese and was acquitted of the forcible entry.
Shown on Bryants 1826 map.
For sale by private contract May 1853.
The Old-Established Inn called the CROWN INN,
situate in the Market-place, containing several well proportioned rooms,
bar, kitchens, cellars and domestic offices, suitable to an establishment of
this description; lock-up coach-houses, harness-room, stabling for upwards
of forty horses; barn piggeries, cow-sheds, and out-houses, with large yard,
and a superior walled-in Bowling Green and Garden attached. A most extensive
business has been carried on therein for more than half a century. The
present owner, Mrs Powel, a widow, is desirous of retiring from business,
which is the cause of this valuable property being offered for sale.
It was reported 31st August 1867 that Mr. Wayman, respected host of the
Crown Hotel suffered a broken wrist and rib when struck by a runaway horse
Advertised as a Commercial & Posting House in early 1900's
The premises were offered for sale by auction
in the Lynn Advertiser of 13th September 1901. The sale was by auctioneer
Charles Hawkins and held at the premises on Friday September 27th 1901, at
precisely 4 o'clock.
Offered were the freehold fully licensed commercial and family hotel know as
"The Crown", together with the goodwill trade, and possession
thereof. The property was described as containing `excellent wine & beer
cellars, bar parlour and commercial room, 2 sitting rooms, ball-room with
private entrance, wholesale store department, kitchens, larder, coal, boot
and wash-houses; 14 bedrooms, w.c.; large yard, 9 stables with standing for
63 horses, and 9 loose boxes, granary, straw loft, walled in straw yard,
harness house, omnibus house, wood house, lean to carriage shed, walled in
bowling green and garden, 2 outside w.c's. and urinal.'
After the auction it was reported that the property, then occupied by Mr.
Robert Cole, went unsold. The highest bid was £2000, and this being
below the reserve price, the property was withdrawn.
Lynn Advertiser 9th September 1910
A STRAYING DOG. Sydney Ernest Cole, landlord of the Crown Hotel, Downham, summoned for not
keeping a dog under control............ Fined 5s inclusive