NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
DUKES HEAD HOTEL EAST DEREHAM Index
QUEBEC STREET MITFORD HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED 1933
MITFORD REGISTER taken 12th September 1794 & MITFORD & LAUNDITCH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 (1901 to 1975)
FREE TRADE To at least 1858
BULLARDS By 1901
Licensees :
-  
WILLIAM MINNS
Victualler & maltster
See below
1791 - 1822
-  
JAMES MARIS
(Duke of York)
& brewer
Died Saturday 3rd April 1852 - age 63
1830 to 1852
TIMOTHY GIBSON
& brewer
1852 - 1858
JAMES PERKINS
& maltster, brewer & wine & spirit merchant
age 47 in 1861
1858 - 1865
RICHARD CARTER
age 52 in 1871
1867 - 1872
JOHN WILLIAM DAVY **1875
THOMAS BALES
& vet
age 40 in 1891
1877 - 1891
EDWARD THOMAS FISH 1892 - 1894
Mrs ANN MARIA GANT 1896
GEORGE WILLIAM PELLS
age 40 in 1901
1904 - Horse & traps for hire,
Pork butcher, sausages, lard, bacon, &c fresh daily
by 1900
ERNEST BULLARD 05.10.1915
BEATRICE ELLEN LEA PARSONS 23.11.1917
ERIC MELVYN WHITE 04.04.1924
WARDMAN JAKES 10.10.1924
THOMAS PEARCE 09.07.1026
WALTER HENRY HOOPER 13.03.1931


On 10th June 1837, the death was announced of William Minns, many years landlord of the Duke's Head, he had died Monday 22nd May 1837, aged 73.

See DUKE OF YORK.


Offered for sale 14th June 1852 :-
`The property of the late Mr. James Maris.
The old established Inn called the Dukes Head centrally situate in Dereham........(Including) ....Dining Room and 13 Sleeping Rooms. To this lot (No. 5) is attached an excellent Malting Office and Brewery. Occupation of the lots may be held at Michaelmas next.'

~

Timothy Gibson, late of the BULL, reported 16th April 1853 that he had taken the DUKE'S HEAD, which for many years had been in occupation of Mr. James Maris.

~

For Sale by Private Contract November 1857, in occupation of Timothy Gibson whose tenancy would expire on 25th March 1858 (Lady Day), but apparently extended to at least July 1858 - see next entry.

~

Offered for sale by auction 1st July 1858.
Free Public House, Brewery and Malt Office.
Situate in Quebec Street, and near the Market Place, in full trade.... extensive premises including large yard, stabling, barn, wagon lodge, cow house, numerous outbuildings and garden, now in the occupation of Mr. T. Gibson.

~

In a notification published 23rd October 1858, Timothy Gibson thanked his numerous Friends for their support over the previous six years and recommended their notice to his successor, James Perkins.
Mr. Perkins informed his Friends and the Public that he would be providing Families with Home-brewed Ales, Malt, Hops, Wines and Spirits of the finest quality.
He would supply India, Pale, Burton, Scotch and other Ales.
Horses and Gigs for hire.

~

Mr. Richard Carter of the Dukes Head Inn supplied the Easter Dinner held at the Assembly Rooms 1867.

~

At the Petty sessions 26th August 1870 it was heard that Enos Blomfield, a youth, had been in the employ of Mr. Carter, but one morning in July had left without giving any notice. He took with him a jacket and waistcoat that Mr Carter claimed had only been lent to Blomfield when he started the job. Found guilty of theft, the young man was sent to Norwich Castle to suffer 14 days hard labour.

~

Offered For Sale by Auction Monday 31st July 1882 upon the instructions of the Executors of the late Mr Frederick Meachen.

~

Licence removed to the FIRS, Horsham St. Faiths 04.02.1933

 

*** Note!
John William Davy is given here in 1875 by Kelly.
but also at the Dukes Head Hotel, Gt. Yarmouth