NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
SPREAD EAGLE ERPINGHAM Index
COMMON ROAD SOUTH ERPINGHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE tel : 01263 761591
SOUTH ERPINGHAM LICENCE REGISTERS 16th September 1794 & SOUTH ERPINGHAM LICENCE REGISTER PS 2/5/1 & PS 2/5/3 ( 3 Feb 1925 to c1982 )
STEWARD & PATTESON by 1900
WATNEY MANN 21.04.1967 : Closed 01.09.1975 under Watney Mann (East Anglia) Ltd
FREEHOUSE Owned by Mr & Mrs Marjoram : Reopened 1976
WOODFORDES by 1983
FREEHOUSE    
FREEHOUSE The ERPINGHAM ARMS - Owned by Paul Wayling from 2010
Licensees :
-  
SAMUEL DAVY (?) 1794
-  
JOHN BROWN
& maltster, brewer & farmer.
Age 51 in 1851
Died 1852
1836 - 1852
RICHARD ULPH
& tailor
1854 - 1856
ALFRED CHARLES WOOLSEY
( Died Q2 1882 - age 59 )
1858 - 1865
CHARLES JAMES ABBS
Died Q2 1876 - age 49
( Still listed here 1877 )
1868 - 1876
THOMAS ABBS
Died Q4 1878 - age 89
( Still listed here 1879 )
1878
ELIZA ANN COOKE (79) 1881
THOMAS ABBS
& farmer
Died Q1 1885 - age 25
1883 - 1885
Miss LUCY ABBS 1888 - 1900
MAJOR DUNN
Age 60 in 1911
11.10.1900 - 1916
CHARLES EDWARD WILLIAMSON
( Died March 1950 - age 72 )
1922 to 1934
STEPHEN PARTRIDGE 06.02.1934
WILLIAM BLYTH
( Known as The Duke )
05.02.1935 
CLAUDE ALBERT BLYTH
( Died May 1985 - age 69 )
06.04.1948
DUDLEY ALBERT GRIMBLE
Brewery representative
09.09.1975
JOHN STRACEY MARJORAM &
Mrs ANGELLA MARY MARJORAM
13.05.1976
   
   
BILLIE CARDER c1990
Closed 07/2009 - 08/2011
PAUL & JOANNE WAYLING from 2011

The Spread Eagle c1910
c1910 - Major Dunn, licensee.

Documented as a cottage with 2 acres, owned by John Boyer before 1717.
Thought to be licensed from c1760.

The house included a bowling green ( recorded from 1824 ).

John Brown is shown as licensee, maltster, brewer and in 1851, farmer.
His will was proved 24th December 1852.

The Executors of the will of the late John Brown instructed the Sale of all the Live and Dead Farming Stock, Brewing Utensils, Household Furniture and other Effects to be sold by Auction Thursday and Friday, 6th and 7th October 1853.

Valued shortly c1914 at a gross value of £1632, with an unlicensed capital value of £580. Then described as consisting of 4 bedrooms, bar, smoke room, beer cellar, small sitting room, kitchen & scullery; outbuildings were a 3 horse stable, 2 loose boxes, harness room & gighouse, 2 bay cart shed & skittle alley; An open cattle yard with a 2 bay shelter, bullock box, stable with loft, and a kitchen garden with good bowling green; there were also 2 arable fields and a small meadow.

The house was run by WOODFORDES from 1983 as their `brewery tap' - before moving to larger premises at Woodbastwick October 1989

Closed July 2009

Reopened August 2011 as the ERPINGHAM ARMS

Closed October 2017.....