NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
ELEPHANT & CASTLE GAYWOOD index
GAYTON ROAD FREEBRIDGE - LYNN HUNDRED BEERHOUSE CLOSED 1927
STEWARD, PATTESON, FINCH & Co To expiry of lease January 6th 1899
 LAWS & Co  
Licensees :
-
WILLIAM TURNER * 1856 - * 1858
WILLIAM BETTS
Chelsea pensioner
Age 55 in 1861
1861 - * 1868
THOMAS COOPER
Age 51 in 1871
* 1869 - 1871
JOHN FARMER
( John Harmer 1875 at un-named beerhouse )
* 1875 - 1877
JOHN RIPPINGILL
& market gardener
Age 39 in 1881
( Died Q1 1891 - age 49 )
1881 - 1883
JOHN RICHES junior
age 43 in 1901
* 1890 - 1904
ISAAC RICHARDSON
Age 50 in 1911
* 1908 - 1911
STEPHEN WILLIAM UTTERIDGE
( Died March 1948 - age 86 )
* 1912
RICHARD MEDLOCK
( Died June 1949 - age 79 )
* 1916 - * 1925


The Elephant & Castle - Image provided by Peter J. Irwin.
c1910 ? - Image provided by Peter J. Irwin.


Converted to a private dwelling following closure 1927.
Severely damaged during WWII by a vehicle transporting sugar beet.
The lorry apparently failed to negotiate a bend and entered through the window at the right end!


Stood opposite the Gaywood Clock ( South side )

~

Featured in the Lynn Advertiser of 8th July 1898.

A WELL SITUATED BEER-HOUSE FOR SALE
Messrs Cruso & Wilkin
have received instruction to offer for Sale by Auction, at the Globe Hotel, Kings Lynn, on Tuesday 26th July 1898, punctually at 4 o'clock in the afternoon, in one lot, a well situated BEER-HOUSE known as the ELEPHANT & CASTLE, in the parish of Gaywood, containing 4 bed-rooms, sitting room, kitchen, cellar and domestic offices, large yard, stabling for 6 horses ( 2 loose boxes ) with good granary over, lean-to shed and other premises, together with a 2 roomed cottage at side and a large productive
MARKET GARDEN
at rear, the whole containing 1a. 1r. 0p ( more or less ).
The above house and premises are in good repair, having lately had a large amount expended upon them, and are situate on the corner of the high roads to Lynn, Sandringham and Gayton, thus commanding exceptional business advantages.
All the above premises are now and have been for some years part been let to Messrs. Steward, Patteson and Finch, whose tenancy expires on January 6th 1899, when possession will be given.
The property is copyhold to the manor of Gaywood.

Particulars and conditions of sale can be had of the
Auctioneers, Kings Lynn; or of
Messrs. E B Loynes & Son, Solicitors, Wells, Norfolk.


Thanks to Stan Langley 15.08.06 for the sale details.