NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
SWAN KIRBY CANE Index
BUNGAY ROAD CLAVERING HUNDRED BEERHOUSE? CLOSED 23.10.1962
    LODDON & CLAVERING REGISTER taken September 1794
GELDESTON BREWERY Sold 1858
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS Sold by YC&Y Partnership to YC&Y Company 1898
BULLARDS to closure 1962
Licensees :
-  
Widow AYRES to 1750
JOHN CHARITY February 1750
not mentioned 1789
ROBERT BARNES (?) 1794
-  
EDWARD SNOWLING
( Edward SNOWLIN 1836, 1840, 1845, 1846 )
age 39 in 1851
1836 - 1851
CHARLES MITCHELL 1854 - 1856
THOMAS KEMP
& blacksmith
1858
THOMAS PITCHERS
& dealer
1861
WILLIAM GOODWIN 1863 - 1865
BENJAMIN HINSLEY 1866 - 1869
EDWARD GIBBS 1871 - 1875
SIMON MANNING
& coal dealer
1877  - 1883
JARVIS CRICKMORE 1888 - 1925
RICHARD C MAW 1929 - 1933
ALEX GEORGE WRIGHT 1937 to
1950's
MABEL J ALDOUS 1956 to 1962


Appears on Bryants 1826 map.
( Near Ellingham Hall and Bird In Hand Farm )

Wednesday 11th July 1866 - Residents of Kirby Cane, William Ward and James Woods were found guilty of being riotous and disorderly when refusing to quit the SWAN, earlier in July 1866.
Ward was fined 10s and Woods 5s, both to pay 8s costs each.
They were further fined 5s, with 13s costs each, for assaulting the wife of landlord Benjamin Hinsley.

Closure recommended at First Joint Committee Meeting of Bullards and S&P 29th May 1962.
`Sales 76 barrels per year, Landlady aged 47, having been tenant for 6 years'

 

Building demolished. 
By 1990's all had  gone, including cottages, to accommodate the Kirby Cane bypass.