NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
COCK INN LAKENHAM C index Cock index
Lakenham
LONG JOHN HILL LAKENHAM FULL LICENCE -
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 - 1965)
FREE TRADE Supplied by St. Martins Brewery (Leasehold) - Advertised for sale 11th October 1794
FREE TRADE Leased by Morse.
FREE TRADE Supplied by Steward & Co.
STEWARD & Co By 1848 owned (the lease ?) by Steward, Patteson, Finch & Co. according to S&P Trust Deed.
STEWARD & PATTESON Purchased from the Trafford Estates October 1909
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
INN CONTROL A Mike Lorenz company as given 1995
PARK TAVERNS Ltd As licence application made May 2002
ENTERPRISE INNS (Leased to Oxfordshire company OAK INNS by July 2005 - Lease for sale January 2009)
? Pre May 2017
Licensees :
-
-  
BENJAMIN BLAKE
& carpenter
1760 - 1764
-  
JOHN BURGOYNE  1810
-  
EDWARD MINNS 1833 - 1836
RICHARD MINNS 1842
ROBERT MINNS
according to White
1845
JOHN WOOLNER
according to Magistrates
1845
WILLIAM BATTRUM
age 35 in 1851
1850 - 1861
SARAH BATTRUM by 1864
JOSHUA GOODSWAN 13.05.1879
THOMAS SKIPPER 10.10.1883
DENNIS READ 25.09.1890
JAMES BIRD
(arrived at house 12.12.1894)
01.01.1895
HERBERT ALBERT WILDSMITH 10.10.1911
ALICE MARIA WILDSMITH 11.06.1912
HENRY JAMES SMITH 03.01.1933
STEPHEN WILLIAM BEAMIS 16.11.1937
MAY MARY BEAMIS 19.08.1958
ALEX WILSON 20.07.1971
LEONARD AUBREY THOMAS 08.06.1976
PAT & BRIAN ROBINSON
(ex St. PAUL'S TAVERN)
11.01.1983
MICHAEL LORENZ &
ANTHONY BERESFORD
21.12.1993
MALCOLM & ROSLYN LOCKETT
managers
by 07.1994
MICHAEL LORENZ &
MALCOLM LOCKETT
08.08.1995
GERRY CUNNINGHAM &
JULIE SUSAN CUSHEN
19.11.1996
LINDA CUNNINGHAM 13.01.1998
MALCOLM LOCKETT &
EDWARD WILLIAM SCOTT
15.06.1999
-  
KEN & LINDA DAY 02.2001
-  
BARRY BLAZEY,
JACKIE DANIELS &
PAUL EVANS
by 09.2010 - 2013
   


The original Cock - Lakenham - c1901
c1901 


Dennis Read applied, on Monday 24th August 1891, for a music and singing licence. On the advice by the Chief Constable, that the house was in the remote corner of the city, the Bench refused the application.

Gutted by fire 31st March 1908 when nearby mill caught fire and sparks landed on the thatched roof.
Repaired /rebuilt by 1911.

Refurbished by May 1984 after Watneys said to have spent £60,000 and the tenants a further £40,000 to ``Remove cramped bar & lounge''.

Further works carried out June 1996 including an extension to the premises by the river.


Lakenham - 1998
May 1998

 

Granted `Asset of Community Value' status 16th May 2017.

Plans to convert into private dwelling(s) put before Norwich City Council July 2017. Granted September 2018.
House closed.
Offered For Sale £750,000.
Still closed March 2019.........

 

 

House no 535 on 1845 Magistrates list

 

 

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
17th C and later No 7 4 No
Frontage dates from late 19th C of brick and flint work with urban terraced house style appearance. Wrought iron veranda added pre-war.
Initials S & P in spandrels c1930.
One main bar fronting river with one end divided by modern free standing fireplace to create a small eating area.
Brick bar counter with wood grained veneered canopy.
Leatherette settees and Britannia tables.
Hessian type wallpaper.
All modern.