NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CANARY & LINNET LITTLE FRANSHAM Index
MAIN ROAD LAUNDITCH HUNDRED FULL LICENCE tel : 01362 687027
MITFORD & LAUNDITCH LICENCE REGISTER PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 (1901 - 1975)
MORGANS  
BULLARDS 09.11.1961
WATNEY MANN 04.04.1967
CHEF & BREWER November 1974
BRENT WALKER 03.1988
PUBMASTER    
FREE TRADE  
Licensees :
JOHN EDMUND JURDON 02.07.1954
DOROTHY MARGARET JURDON 13.10.1965
LEONARD FRED MORRIS 19.11.1965
BETTY MORRIS 13.03.1970
WILLIAM EDWARD WORBY 10.03.1972
GEORGE MEEHAN 1979
-  
RAY LAING
(Alexander Laing also known as Sandy - died 2006)
1985 +
-  
LYNSEY RUSH by 11.2013

July 1998

Image by Steve Shaw c1994

The sign c1994 - photo by Steve Shaw


The sign 02.01.2000 - Image by Steve Shaw
Little Fransham - 05.07.1998
July 1998

An article in the Eastern Daily Press 3rd March 1953 refers to the Licensing sessions at Dereham when Morgan's Brewery Co applied for the provisional removal of the licence at the Chequers (Great Fransham) to premises on the Norwich Road, Fransham (now the Canary & Linnet) . The application was opposed by Steward and Patterson and Fransham Parish Council but granted on certain conditions pertaining to the installation of toilets!
The article goes on to discuss the conversion of the house (local rumour places an undertakers on this site) and an adjacent building into pub + cafe/clubroom.


In September 1954 it was reported that the house was originally intended to be called the Romany Rye, but with the location, almost half way between Norwich and Lynn, the brewers decided on the Canary and Linnet.
The first licensee, John Jurdon had been in the RAF until 1948 and had commanded 695 Squadron at Horsham St. Faiths as a squadron leader.
It was said that before being converted to an inn, the property had been the home of Mr. Freeman Burton, who for many years carried on a timber, wheelwright's and blacksmith's business there.

A further article in the EDP dated 30th June 1979 refers to the closure of the Canary & Linnet temporarily until the sanitation could be improved: the landlord is quoted as Mr George Meehan

Thanks to Bob Jenkins for the update.

Morgans sales 1960 -
59 barrels of beer
24 spirits

 

See CHEQUERS - GREAT FRANSHAM