NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BIRD IN HAND MARSHLAND St. JAMES Index
MIDDLE DROVE
FEN
FREEBRIDGE MARSHLAND BEERHOUSE CLOSED by 1962
FREEBRIDGE LICENCE REGISTER PS 6/4/1 (1936 - 1960)
ALFRED HURST of Middle drove
A. E. MARTIN  
Licensees :
THOMAS BUTTERS
& farmer 70 acres
age 41 in 1861
age 70 in 1891
1854 - 1891
-  
WILLIAM GREEN
age 52 in 1901
by 1901 to October 1941
Closed for duration of WWII
ALBERT EDWARD MARTIN 13.08.1945
HORACE ARTHUR RODWELL 13.01.1947
-

Image provided by Brenda King - many thanks.
A family gathering c1900
William Green is in the centre
Elizabeth is second from right with daughters either side.

Image provided by Brenda King - 28.04.2004
A gathering c1930.
William & Elizabeth Green are on the left.
Anderson Taylor ( known as Nant ) is second from right.

Thanks to Brenda King for update 30.11.2002 & 28.04.2004

Believed to have commenced trading in 1854 when Thomas Butters opened up a room in his farmhouse. ( He is recorded by White as being at Walpole St. Andrew  in 1854 ).

Location given as on the road north of Neeps Bridge.

The 1901 census gives location as Butters Row.

Transferred from the parish of Walpole St. Andrew to Marshland St. James.

A 1941 newspaper article reported that William Green had allowed the licence to lapse in October of that year.
It seems that the house was closed for the duration of WWII.

Undated note in Licence Register states ``No sales taking place''.

Licence not renewed at
General Annual Licensing Meeting 7th February 1962

House demolished in 1960's and site today is open fields.

1941 newspaper article kindly provided by Brenda King 28.04.04

The above 1941 article records that William and Elizabeth Green were married in 1877, they were in fact married in 1874.