NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
LORD NELSON NORTH WALSHAM index
MARKET STREET
Lower Street
TUNSTEAD HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED 1984
TUNSTEAD & HAPPING LICENCE REGISTERS PS 11/4/1 to 11/4/3 ( Feb 1928 to Feb 1974 )
STEWARD & PATTESON Leasehold owned by Steward, Patteson Finch & Co to at least 1851
WATNEY MANN    
Licensees :
-  
EDWARD DUNNING 1830
WILLIAM COOPER 1836 - 1839
ROBERT HUBBARD
( Robert Howard 1845 )
1839 - 1858
WILLIAM PROVART 1863
JAMES BENDISH 1864
PHILLIP DANIEL ALEXANDER 1865
SAMUEL DYKE 1868 - 1869
WILLIAM W. SCOTTOW
( W W Scotten 1875 )
Age 41 in 1871
* 1871 - 1877
ROBERT JOHN WOODS 1879
JAMES SAMUEL LEARNER 1881 - 1888
JONAS NORMAN BLYTH
Age 49 in 1891
1890 - 1904
JOHN THOMAS WOODHOUSE 1908
SIDNEY COLMAN 1912
THOMAS EDWARD HANNANT. by 1916
Fine 26.02.1934 of £2 for selling out of hours.
ARTHUR BENJAMIN GRIMES 22.10.1945
GWENDOLYN MABEL GRIMES 13.08.1956
GEORGE TROUGHTON 06.12.1965
THELMA JOAN SHARPLES 17.08.1970
to at least 1974
-  

 


Originally sited on Market Street near to the Bear Stores.
Later at what became Nelson Street. Referenced also as at Mundesley Road and at Lower Street.

Once the headquarters of the `Press Gang' and in later years visited yearly by a Recruiting Sergeant. A cage was situated opposite to hold drunks and presumably some of those pressed into service.

It was reported 17th January 1852 that on Old Christmas Day Mr. Robert Hubbard invited 52 of his poor and aged neighbours to partake in a bountiful dinner of beef and plumb pudding. Ten persons, who owing to their infirmity were unable to attend, were provided with a liberal supply of the good things, sent to their homes.
The Vicar, the Rev. Mr. Eden, entered the room and after an address, dismissed them with a donation.

Damaged by enemy action 31.12.1942

Converted into shops after closure.