NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CROWN PULHAM St Mary Magdalen Index
THE GREEN EARSHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE  
EARSHAM LICENCE REGISTERS PS 21/3/1 & PS 21/3/2 (1932 - 1967)
Note : February 1959 to Feb 1964 missing
HARLESTON BREWERY Sold 1828 to Mr Mayhew of Metfield for £700
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS by 1897
BULLARDS 15.12.1958
WATNEY MANN 1967 - Closed by Watney Mann (East Anglia) Ltd 19.05.1976
Freehouse ? Reopened and selling Adnams ales by 1985
FREEHOUSE 2015
Licensees :
HUMPHREY BALEY to 1782
-  
WILLIAM NEAVE / NEEVE 1828 - 1843
JOHN COCK
age 48 in 1851
& plumber & glazier
1845 - 1851
JOHN BUXTON
(Previously at Wacton Dukes Head)
October 1851
JOSHUA STEWARD 1854 - 1858
WILLIAM BARKHAM / BACKHAM
& farmer 20 acres
1861 - 1871
Wednesday 24th February 1864 - Fine of 5s and 12s costs for being drunk and behaving in a riotous manner on 12th February. In default 14 days hard labour at Norwich Castle. The fine was paid.
Mrs ANN BARKHAM 1872
JOHN PALMER 1875
RICHARD GRANT 1877 - 1881
CHARLES HAZELL / HAZILL
& posting house
& coal & wholesale merchant
1888 - 1897
Mrs SARAH A HAZELL 1900 - 1908
THOMAS WILLIAM GOWING 1912
D BALDWIN 1916
WILLIAM CHARLES WILLIAMS 1922
THOMAS BARLOW 1925 - 1929
JOHN BERRY LAWRENCE by 1932
GEORGE ROBERT RAYNER 20.04.1934
FREDERICK CHARLES SMITH 29.06.1934
JAMES HARRY HODGE 21.01.1949
PHILIP LAURANCE RADFORD 29.09.1950
ARTHUR FREDERICK BADKIN 29.02.1952
WALTER EDWARD EASTER 10.10.1952
JAMES EDWARD SINDLE 04.12.1953
FREDERICK WALTER DUNHAM 23.04.1954
EDWARD LANCASTER 07.03.1958
RAYMOND FREDERICK WEBB undated
GEORGE LESLIE QUICK undated
-  
STEPHEN GIRDLER to 2012
... 12.11.2012
JON BINGHAM &
AMY BEEVERS
by 02. 2015

CROWN - PULHAM MARKET
c1910

The Norfolk Chronicle of 13th April 1782 reported ......
To be Lett, and entered upon immediately, that old accustomed House known by the Name of the CROWN, at Pulham Market, Norfolk, now in the Occupation of Mr Humphrey Baley; consisting of a kitchen, two Parlours, and six Chambers, also a very good Brewing-Office, Stable, and other Conveniences. The household Furniture, Brewing Utensils, and Stock, to be taken at fair Valuation.

Lot No. XVI in the sale of Harleston Brewery properties 3rd July 1828.
In occupation of William Neave.


In 1836 the Board of Guardians for the Depwade Union agreed to pay Mr. Neeve, landlord of the Crown, £12 per annum for the use of room, stabling and hostler, this being their choice for board meetings.

Notice was published 4th March 1843 that William Neave had conveyed and transferred all of his Estate and Effects to Trustees for the equal benefit of his Creditors.

Offered for sale by auction April 1843
"For many years past in the occupation of Mr. Neave : comprising a well-situated bar, large kitchen, and every suitable domestic office...."

An application for alterations and improvements was approved on Friday
22nd September 1949.

No change recommended at First Joint Committee Meeting of Bullards and Steward & Patteson 29th May 1962.
Sales given as 129 barrels.


The CROWN - February 1998
February 1998

Freehold sold for £295,000 by December 2014.

Many thanks to Janelle Penney for the newspaper transcription
taken with permission, from © film provided by the
British Library Newspaper Library
Thanks also to Robert Campbell.
and Kate Chenneour.