NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BERNEY ARMS REEDHAM Index
RIVER YARE WALSHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE -
BLOFIELD & WALSHAM LICENCE REGISTERS PS 8/6/1 - PS 8/6/3 (1872 - 1957?)
G D BERNEY of Morton
STEWARD & PATTESON Leased  after 1875
FREEHOUSE   
Licensees :
-  
JAMES BARRETT - 
(occupant of Berney Arms, occupation - Farm in 1832)
*1832 - 1835
JOHN CATER 1836
ROBERT RUSHMER 1841 - 1846
HORACE GILBERT
age 35 in 1851
1851 - 1856
CHARLES KNIGHTS 1858
JAMES KNIGHTS 1860 - 1861
CHARLES KNIGHTS 1864 - 1869
JAMES KNIGHTS 1871 to 1875
CHARLES CARVER 08.03.1875
WALTER HOWARD DANIELS 25.11.1878
FREDERICK CARTER 15.11.1886
ROBERT THAXTER 29.09.1890
JOHN ANDREWS 10.07.1899
to closure 1909
-
CHARLES LESLIE SCHOFIELD 1955 - 1960
KENNETH BARNES 1960 - 1964
ROBERT MANNING (Bob) 1964 - 1974
ROBERT McLAUGHLAN 1974 - 
-  
MANDY WEBB &
JOE ROYLE
2014


August 1986

Shown on Bryants 1826 map.

The Berney Arms Water Frolic took place on Monday 8th June 1829. There was a rather fresh breeze of wind during the day, which led to some trifling disasters.

It was reported February 1904 that John Andrews had been summoned during the previous year for keeping the house open during prohibited hours - Case had been dismissed.

Licence reduced to 6 day - 20.08.1900
Referred for compensation 08.02.1909


Licence refused at Compensation Authority meetings of 21st and 23rd June 1909.
Reported as an alehouse, with 6 day licence, owned by Mrs Berney and run by licensee John Andrews.

Three customers from Burgh Castle drowned
after attempting to leave by boat.
House closed as a result 11th October 1909.

Licence expired 07.06.1910

 

Purchased by Mr Schofield for £2500, c1954

OFF LICENCE granted 07.02.1955
Later Full licence

 

Closed October 2014.........



Open for business Easter 2017.