NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BLACK LION REEPHAM St. MARY Index
NEW ROAD EYNESFORD HUNDRED BEERHOUSE CLOSED 12.03.1952
Eynesford Licence Registers taken 17th September 1794 & PS/3/4/1 - PS/3/4/6 (c1880 - 1975)
REEPHAM BREWERY Conveyed 26th November 1878 from Reepham Brewery to Bullards
(and this property subsequently sold on to Steward)
STEWARD & PATTESON from 1878 to 1952
Licensees :
-  
JOHN STOKES 1794
-  
THOMAS SPRINGALL
(Bricklayer age 50 in 1841)
1830 - 1839
GEORGE GRAVER
age 49 in 1851
& joiner
& carpenter
1845 - 1854
ROBERT REYNOLDS 1856
NEWMAN REYNOLDS 1858 - 1868
HARRISON WARNER 1869 - 1871
HENRY MUMFORD 1875
HENRY PORTER by 1877
WILLIAM ROWLAND 13.12.1886
ARTHUR COLLINSON
& brickmaker
21.12.1891
JOHN ALLISON MARSH
Age 51 in 1911
01.02.1909
THOMAS ANTHONY HORN 21.12.1931
WILLIAM J LASKEY 25.07.1949


Lot No. 2 in the sale by auction of the Bircham & Sons Reepham Brewery Saturday 8th June 1878. Then let to Henry Porter at an annual rent of £16. Containing :- Front Parlour, Bar, Back Parlour, WC, Cellar, 3 Bedrooms, Nine Pin Ground, Walled in Yard including Barn, Also a brick Cow House, Straw Yard etc., On the opposite side of the road 2 Enclosures of Garden Ground & a Small Pightle - The whole site being about 1½ acres - Common Right on Sall Common attaches to this house - Freehold.
Purchased by Steward.

Application for removal to new premises made 10th September 1888. Approved 29th September 1888 .
Rebuilt on the grounds opposite 1889
The transfer to new premises was confirmed March 18th 1891.

Given as the RED LION in the 1891 census.
Bullards Brewery (Not the owners of the house at the time) had made a strange request in a letter dated 18th September 1890, asking one William Hudson to change the name on the certificate from Lion to Red Lion. The letter was signed by Percy Etheridge. It appears that the house traded as the RED LION for some time.

Selling an average of 23 1/3 barrels per year during the years 1930 to 1936

Licence removed to the GREYHOUND, Sculthorpe 1952
Licence expired 7th May 1952