NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
HORSE SHOES SAHAM TONEY Index

WATTON ROAD

WAYLAND HUNDRED BEERHOUSE
FULL LICENCE from 04.05.1960
CLOSED 10.01.1963
WAYLAND LICENCE REGISTER PS 15/3/1 ( 1937 - 1969 )
WATTON BREWERY Conveyed 01.08.1891 by Thomas Crawshay Frost to Cann & Clarke
WYMONDHAM BREWERY Cann & Clarke - sold to Morgans 11.05.1894
MORGANS until 1961
STEWARD & PATTESON Closed by S&P 10.01.1963 : Licence not renewed 1964
Licensees :
-
-  
JAMES MANN 1869 - *1881
CHARLES WATSON
& bricklayer
* 1883 - * 1896
WILLIAM ADCOCK
Cattleman on farm & Innkeeper
Age 44 in 1901
* 1900 - *1908
THOMAS CLIPPERTON PYE
( born 1852 )
by 1909 to 01.1941
ALBERT ARTHUR LARGE 10.01.1941
HAROLD DAVY SEMMENCE 05.12.1958
WILFRED JOHN BACON 19.06.1959
DUDLEY ALBERT GRIMBLE
(Brewery Rep.)
08.02.1963


In January 1941, Thomas Clipperton Pye was congratulated by Police-sergeant Cooper for his conduct over the 35 years he had held the licence. This would  mean that he held the licence from at least 1906 and put the 1908 trades directory listing of William Adcock (un-named beerhouse) in doubt.
Mr. Pye is not mentioned in 1908.

The Horse Shoes
c1912

The house was also known as the
THREE HORSESHOES

Sales 1960 were barrels of Beer 40, Spirits 4.

Closure agreed at first Joint Committee Meeting of Bullards and Steward & Patteson 29 May 1962.