NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CARPENTERS ARMS SCARNING Index
SWAFFHAM ROAD
TURNPIKE
LAUNDITCH HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED 14.07.1965
MITFORD & LAUNDITCH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 (1901 to 1975)
STEWARD & PATTESON  
Licensees :
-
GEORGE CROSS
age 35 in 1851
& carpenter
* 1845 - 1869
JOHN HUMPHREY
Age 61 in 1871
1871
W BUTLER
(See CAMPS INN)
* 1872
WILLIAM CAXTON EMMS 1875
Mrs WALTER * 1877
JAMES BLADE 1879 - 1885
JOHN WILLIAM ROGERS 1886 - 1890
Mrs EMMA ROGERS
Age 49 in 1891
1891 - 1912
GEORGE EGMORE 18.10.1912
WILLIAM JOSEPH ELLIS 22.05.1914
GEORGE HOOD 14.10.1921
EDWARD MAYES 22.08.1924
HENRY JOHNSON 09.07.1937
ARTHUR FREDERICK FIRMIN 26.05.1939
FREDERICK GEORGE BURLEIGH 12.10.1945
BELGIUM FRANCIS BENNETT
Went to ELEPHANT & CASTLE, Sporle.
05.10.1951
WILLIAM UTTING
Previously at the JOLLY FARMERS, Dereham.
19.11.1954
ROY HERBERT PEARSON 23.11.1956
REGINALD NORMAN FEEK 23.08.1957
SIDNEY RONALD GAY 11.10.1957
REGINALD NORMAN FEEK 23.08.1957
DAVID HORSEBURGH 31.01.1964
DUDLEY ALBERT GRIMBLE 27.08.1965

Image from the collection of the late Percy Rush. Copyright 2008
The Compasses
1897 image from the collection of the late Percy Rush.
Shown with permission

Recorded in Notice of Inclosure Award 1814

Lot No.1 (Compasses) in auction held Friday 17th September 1886. Inn and adjoining cottage then in the occupation of John Rogers (Inn) and James Futter (Cottage?).
The Inn comprised - Entrance hall, Bar, Parlour, Kitchen, General Living room, Cellar, 4 Bedrooms, Wash house, Privy and Large garden.

JOINERS ARMS to 1875
THREE COMPASSES 1883, 1888 & 1892
COMPASSES to 1908
CARPENTERS ARMS 1868, 1871 and later

Closure NOT AGREED at First Joint Committee Meeting of S&P and Bullards 29th May 1962.
Sales for previous year given as 67 barrels.

Meeting on Agreed Uneconomic Closures 2nd February 1966 reported the house was closed.

Licence renewal not applied for 11.02.1966