NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CROWN INN SHERINGHAM Index
EAST CLIFF
EAST PROMENADE
NORTH ERPINGHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE 01263 823213
NORTH ERPINGHAM LICENCE REGISTER PS 24/6/1 - 24/9/3 (1872 - c1982)
LETHERINGSETT BREWERY Conveyed by Clement Cozens-Hardy to Morgans 12.03.1896
MORGANS ( Morgans took over licence 06.01.1896 ) 1896 - 1961
  BULLARDS    
WATNEY MANN   
      
Licensees :
PHILIP PENTIN pre Nov 1781
-  
JOSEPH NIGHTINGALE 1836
SARAH NIGHTINGALE 1845
WILLIAM GRIMES 1846
FRANCIS PRIEST
& twine spinner
1850
CHARLES SUNMAN ( 36 ) * 1851
ANN SUNMAN
( Previously licensee of Blakeney White Horse following the death of her then husband W T Storey.  Re-married Charles Sunman )
1854 - 1856
ROBERT COX
Age 53 in 1871
by 1858
CHARLES HOLSEY 03.12.1877
CHARLES WILLIAM HOLSEY 13.08.1928
GEORGE VICTOR DOWDING 05.01.1948
JOHN JOSEPH GODFREY 04.10.1962
GLENNIS &
( BOB ) ROBERT GEOFFREY BREWSTER
05.10.1978 -
-
-
-  


 
On 12th January 1905
Ralph Vaughan Williams heard
"Dearest Nancy" and
"Stowbrow" performed here
 as he was visiting the area collecting traditional songs.


(Information thanks to the researches of Alan Helsdon 2017)
 


Rebuilt 3 times - Each time further inland.
First known inn being taken by the sea on 22nd October 1800.
Current building dates from 1935.

Sheringham council erected a post to prevent fishermen's barrows traversing Slippers Loke. Charles Holsey removed the post 15th June 1903. A criminal case ensued and ended up in the London High Court, costing both sides several hundred pounds. The post seems to have survived and was known as the "Spite & Malice" during its lifetime.

Given as at Lower Sheringham 1888

Morgans sales for 1960 were:-
266 barrels of beer
136 spirits