NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BRICKMAKERS ARMS SPROWSTON /NORWICH Norwich
Sprowston
496 SPROWSTON ROAD TAVERHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE -
TAVERHAM LICENCE REGISTER PS 9/8/1 to PS 9/8/3 (31 Aug 1872 - 1957) note:1887 to 1903 missing
transferred to NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER 09.11.1907 - PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (cover 1867 to 1965)
Thomas JERMY (Jarmy) of Sprowston
STEWARD, PATTESON, FINCH & Co c1881
STEWARD & PATTESON  
WATNEY MANN  
INNTREPRENEUR  
UNIQUE PUB COMPANY by 2000
Licensees :
-
THOMAS JARMY
(Brickmaker only in 1858 and 1861 when aged 30)
by 1863 to 1874
JOHN PRATT 17.10.1874
THOMAS JERMY 14.10.1876
JOHN MACKLEY 15.10.1881
WILLIAM BURROWS junior
(went to Marlborough Arms)
19.05.1883
WILLIAM BURROWS senior 15.08.1885
ARTHUR ROBERT BURROWS 06.06.1903
THOMAS HOBART 26.11.1912
HORACE GEORGE HARRISON 02.10.1928
HORACE GEORGE HARRISON (new premises) 10.02.1931
DAVID THOMAS MAXTED 16.11.1937
MABEL MAY MAXTED (widow) 21.11.1950
GEORGE CLIFFORD DAVID MALLETT 03.01.1956
COLIN ERNEST HOWES 06.02.1973
LEN EVANS (Leonard Trevor) 07.09.1976
JOHN LEMMON 28.04.1981
IAN SEDDAN 09.09.1981
TERANCE DESMOND CAVANAGH 14.06.1983
JOHN & VALERIE THAXTON 22.11.1988
VALERIE THAXTON & NEVILLE DOWNING 12.11.1991
KEVIN PATRICK BAYNTON 17.03.1992
KEVIN PATRICK BAYNTON & MANDY LARGE & CLIVE LARGE 28.04.1992
MANDY & CLIVE LARGE & STUART FRANCIS HOYLE 11.04.1995
MANDY & CLIVE LARGE 13.08.1996
CHARLOTTE (Charley) SOUTH & PAMELA SMITH 24.04.2003
CHARLEY SOUTH, PAM SOUTH & EMMA TEASDALE by 2004


Application by Thomas Jarmany for a spirit licence, refused at the licensing sessions 5th September 1863.

Thomas Jarmy applied for a spirit licence for his beerhouse, 1st September 1866.
One of the magistrates, Mr. John Longe objected and designated all public houses as more or less nuisances and there was no need for an extension of them in the area. The majority of magistrates did not hold that view and the licence was granted.
Note : Mr. Longe lived at nearby Spixworth - much later to be the home of the LONGE ARMS PH.

House transferred from Sprowston Parish
to Norwich in 1907.

Address previously no. 470 Sprowston Road (1912, 1925)

Licence transferred to new premises which opened
10th February 1931

The Brickmakers - c1960
c1960

2010
2010

It was announced 24th September 2018 that closure possible following Ei (Enterprise Inns) requiring higher rent, said to make the business untenable.

Application made early October 2018 for status as an Asset of Community Value. 16,000 persons signing petition to save the venue since news of impending closure announced.

 

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Mid 20C No 4 2 No
Front ground floor extended about 5 feet.
Modern windows and doors.
Extended along frontage to Sprowston Road.
Country hotel style
Four drinking areas
Modern bar fittings.
Some moulding left, otherwise completely renovated.
Windsor chairs, bar tables with cast iron bases.
Used to be a doctor's house which had shutters on the upper storey.
Publican has old photograph before additions, with doctor and his family outside circa 1900.