NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
SHIP SPROWSTON Index
  TAVERHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED 1883
TAVERHAM LICENCE REGISTER PS 9/8/1 to PS 9/8/3 (31 Aug 1872 - 1957) note:1887 to 1903 missing
transferred to NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER 09.11.1907 - PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
STEWARD, PATTESON, FINCH & Co Leased - First supplied by S&P during the year 1847 to 1848
STEWARD & PATTESON by 1883
Licensees :
-
-  
THOMAS YEOMAN BURROWS
(listed 1851 as a gardener - age 39)
*1851 - 1858
BARZILLAI DRAKE *1861 - 1869
THOMAS JOHN BURROWS by 1872
GEORGE WOODS 21.03.1874
LYDIA TAYLOR WOODS 06.03.1875
THOMAS BURROWS 15.05.1875
THOMAS JOHN BURROWS
& cattle dealer 1883
(S J Burrows 1877 & brickmaker)
29.07.1876
to closure




For Sale by Auction Thursday 28th February 1861, also the Field, Orchard and Garden at the rear, containing about Five Acres.
(The latter divided into 18 separate lots of about 35 to 60 Rods each).
The Public House, with covered-in Nine-pin Ground, Stables, Cow-house, Yard and other Buildings. The business at the time being about Five Barrels a week, besides Spirit sales.

On 15th December 1883, the Justices refused to renew or transfer the licence to Thomas Rix.
It was heard that the last tenant was named Burrows, who had absconded following renewal of his licence. Messrs. Steward & Patteson then found Rix to take up the position.
The house was respectable, with no complaint ever made against it. A good business was carried out and the house was drawing 153 barrels per annum.
The property belonged to a lady named Jay and it was claimed that as a public house it was worth £1000, but without a licence, only £200.
S&P paid £40 a year rent and had just signed a 14 year lease.
In spite of the argument that the house was needed by the ever expanding local population, most of whom involved in brickmaking, some in market gardening, the Justices considered that since S&P also had the Black Horse, Brickmakers Arms and the Norfolk & Norwich Arms, all within half a mile, that the licence of the Ship was unnecessary.

Licence renewal refused at the General Annual Licensing Meeting 6th September 1884 and was confirmed at the following Quarter Sessions.