NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
MAIDS HEAD SWAFFHAM Index
MARKET PLACE SOUTH GREENHOE HUNDRED - CLOSED c1903
 QUEENS HEAD in SOUTH GREENHOE REGISTER taken September 1789 & 6th September 1794.
DEREHAM BREWERY Included in 1828 sale
SWAFFHAM BREWERY as recorded 1829 to 1847
MORSE & WOODS by 1877
STEWARD & PATTESON from take-over of Morse & Woods in 1895.
Licensees :
-
-  
JAMES MANN
( Queens Head )
1789
CHARLES ORFORD
( Queens Head )
1791 - 1794
-  
HENRY PORTER
( Queens Head )
1822
JOHN WATSON
( Queens Head  )
1830 - 1836
JOHN WATSON
age 58 in 1851
1839 - 1851
JAMES BLANCHFLOWER
age 50 in 1861
1854 - 1864
GEORGE HUDSON
age 49 in 1871
1865 - 1875
GEORGE WHITBY ( Whithy ? ) 1877 - 1879
WILLIAM GARNETT
age 67 in 1881
1881 - 1883
Mrs ELIZABETH GARNETT 1888 - 1890
CHARLES THOMAS LAMBERT
age 65 in 1901
1891 - 1901

Mr. William Gooch, aged 39, died at the house April 1816. Licensee or guest?


Given as the QUEENS HEAD 1789, 1791 and in Pigot's 1830 directory also White's of 1836.

Included as the Maids Head within Lot No. 1 in sale by order of the Trustees of the late John Morse esq. held 8th & 9th September 1847.
The property included :-
3 Parlours, Kitchen, Bar, Cellar & 6 Bedrooms ; Stable & Hay Loft.

At the Licensing Meeting held Monday 1st September 1890, it was heard that the Superintendant of Police objected to the renewal of the Licence of Mrs. Garnett. Evidence was given by Sergeant Storey and Police-constables Nobes and Marler, to prove that the house had been badly conducted and that Mrs. Garnett was not a fit and proper person to run it. Mr. Morse, owner of the property, attended with the purpose to support his tenant as a solicitor. On the advice of the Clerk and the objections of the Superintendant, the Bench refused to hear him.
Another report of the initial objection claimed that Mrs. Garnett was too old and infirm to carry on the business.
Adjourned to next Petty Sessions (15th September)

Licence surrendered 1903
Property sold 1904