NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WHITE LION INN SWAFFHAM Index
CASTLE ACRE STREET
STATION ROAD
SOUTH GREENHOE HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED July 1987
SOUTH GREENHOE LICENCE REGISTERS September 1789, 16th September 1794 & PS 19/5/1 & PS 19/5/2 ( 1926 - 1969 )
SETCH BREWERY as recorded under deed dated 1802 ( Conveyance from Herbert to Messrs Herbert & Hogg )
SWAFFHAM BREWERY of John Morse
STEWARD & PATTESON Conveyed from Frederick Morse ( Swaffham Brewery) 2nd November 1895 to S&P
WATNEY MANN from 1967
Licensees :
Mr. C BANYARD March 1787
ELIZABETH EASTGATE 1789
JOHN BRIGGS
( Previously at Shoulder of Mutton)
1794
-  
THOMAS DEATH 1822
WILLIAM JOHNSON 1830 - 1839
JOHN BENNETT
age 35 in 1841
1841 - 1847
CHARLOTTE HUBBARD
age 42 in 1851
1851 - 1855
CHARLES SEAR
& cattle dealer
1858
GEORGE GIRLING from September 1858
ROBERT JOHNSON
age 46 in 1871
1861 - 1886
CHARLES FARRANT 1888 - 1890
RICHARD ALEX JOHNSON
age 65 in 1891
1891 - 1892
HARRY STEVENSON JOHNSON 1896
ALFRED DEAN
& army pensioner
( died 01.02.1898 on premises )
c1897
JAMES JOHN HOWARD
age 39 in 1901
1900 - 1904
ARTHUR WILLIAM T. ROWE 1908
FREDERICK BORE 1912 - 1922
ALBERT MOULTON by 1925
AGNES MOULTON 05.11.1939
ALFRED G. SQUIRES 18.12.1939
WILLIAM JOHN ROWE 27.08.1945
CHARLES HENRY LEIGHTON 12.07.1948
VERNON JAMES WATSON 19.12.1949
CECIL GEORGE COOPER 04.07.1955
UNA WINIFRED COOPER 26.04.1965
ANTHONY T. MEREDITH 24.05.1965


c1910

Mr C. Banyard informed the public 31st March 1787 that he `has now opened the new erected White Lion'.


Included within Lot No. 1 in sale by order of the Trustees of the late John Morse Esq. held 8th & 9th September 1847.
The property included :-
2  Parlours, 2 Kitchens, Bar, Store room, Pantry & Cellars, & 7 Bedrooms ; In the Yard an Excellently newly built 38ft x 21ft Club Room, 5 Stables with Haylofts, Granary, & Gig House, & the Right of Use of a Well, also a small adjoining Dwelling House fronting the street - Lets for £4 per annum.

c1915

Meeting place of the Norfolk Unity and Hope Lodge of the Ancient Order of Foresters ( No 1246 ) to 1859. In September 1858 Mr. Girling had taken over and sought for payment of the rooms used and for storage of banners. The Lodge voted to move to other premises but Mr. Girling refused to hand over the banners. His Honour thought it an unseemly dispute and found for the Plantiffs for £50, to be reduced to 1s if the goods were handed over by the defendant.