NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WINDMILL INN TEN MILE BANK Hilgay index
Ten Mile Bank
HILGAY CLACKCLOSE HUNDRED BEERHOUSE later
FULL LICENCE
CLOSED
CLACKCLOSE LICENCE REGISTERS PS 7/4/1 to PS 7/4/3 (1917 - 1949)
WILLIAM A. BARROW of Dundee 1917 ( Of Downham in 1898 and 1903)
MILLS BREWERY on lease from W. A. Barrow - by 1934
HALL, CUTLACK & HARLOCK on lease from 06.01.1939 - Then as owners from February 1947
STEWARD & PATTESON   
WATNEY MANN    
PUBMASTER   
Licensees :
-  
PORTER BARROW 1851 - *1858
JOHN BUTCHER **1861
-  
JOHN SAUNDERS 1875 - 1879
JOHN FOREMAN HOWLETT
(named at this house from 1885)
*1883 - 1894
WILLIAM HOWLETT *1896 - *1904
JOHN BRUNDLE 1908 - 1910
WILLIAM HOWLETT
Age 39 in 1911
17.01.1910
ALICE HOWLETT 05.03.1928
HORACE HAYNES 28.09.1931
-  
-  
ALEX & BARBARA FLEMMING 1980's
`BILL' undated
`SHAUN' undated

The last day of the Windmill - August 1998
August 1998

In August 1878, John Saunders, of the Windmill Inn, was accused by Thomas Grief, tailor, of assault. Grief had entered the house and called for half of beer. About ten minutes later, an argument ensued about money owed to Saunders which led to Grief being ejected from the house.
Case dismissed.
Saunders then charged Grief of assault. In this case witnesses George Batson and David Hunt corroborated the events and Grief was fined 2s 6d and 24s 6d costs.


Closed by Pubmaster by August 1998 and sold.

For sale by auction as reported June 2001.

Demolished for road improvements by 2008