NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BELL HOTEL THETFORD Index
BRIDGE STREET
St. PETERS
THETFORD BOROUGH FULL LICENCE -
GRIMSHOE LICENCE REGISTER PS 14/5/1 (1926 - 1954) & THETFORD LICENCE REGISTER PS 14/5/2 (1921 - 1965)
BIDWELL & Co by 1888
BULLARDS from 1924
TRUST HOUSES LTD before 1928 (Lease ?)
OLD ENGLISH INNS by 2004 (Green King Retailing Ltd)
Licensees :
-
WILLIAM HARPER
postmaster and likely landlord
1664
-  
ROBERT BROWNE
went to the ANGEL, Norwich
1740
JAMES JUDD 06.1740
BETTY RADCLIFFE 1775 -
ALEXANDER RADCLIFFE 1791
-  
ELIZABETH RADCLIFFE 1822
ROBERT EDWARDS
Age 72 in 1871
by 1830 -1886
(WILLIAM SMITH - Bell Tap) (1850)
J. FIFE
manager
1875
(THOMAS SHELFORD BIDWELL) 1888
BENJAMIN DUFFIELD
manager
1890
(T S BIDWELL & SUTTON) 1890 - 1900 +
BIDWELL & Company 1908 - 1912
ERNEST JESSUP 1916
KATIE JESSOP by 1921
GEORGE SAMUEL PEELING 05.02.1925
KENNETH CAMPBELL McCALLUM 15.07.1926
THOMAS HAMILTON DENNY 11.04.1935
GERALD GLANDFIELD BOYD 22.07.1954
DAVID HALLIBURTON HADLEY 22.10.1964
-  
ALAN & SUE JUDD managers by 2004
BRIAN & MAGGIE BLAND by 2008
STUART EVANS 2009 - 2010
CRAIG LAWRENCE 2010
JASON CHAPPELL Autumn 2010
-  

Update Sept 2011 thanks to Allison Cameron-Dicker, Duty Manager and Reception since August 2005

Licensees added thanks to the researches of David Osborne. See link opposite.


1997

Original building dates from c1490.

Said to have been an inn since c1540.
Was a Seminary for the Catholic Church.

The ghost of Betty Radcliffe is claimed to haunt the older areas of the hotel, along with a few other departed characters.

Turnpike meeting held here 28th March 1791.

The Norwich to Newmarket Mail Coach stopped here for Sups going up and Breakfast coming down, as reported August 1791 when the host was Mr Radcliffe.


Thomas Coke instigated Wool Fairs here followed by `Sumptuous Dinners for the Gentry'.

In 1830 the coach the ROYAL MAIL called daily at 8:00pm on route from Norwich to London, returning at 6:00am the following morning.

Robert Edwards informed the public 28th June 1845, that the Norfolk Railway Company had instructed him to provide coaches from Bury St. Edmunds, Eye, Diss, Garboldisham and Botesdale, via Ixworth, to serve the Thetford and Harling Stations. Post Horses were at readiness in Thetford to meet every train.


Valued 25th July 1889 at £2600, including a `dismantled Old Brewhouse and a Fitted Up Butchers Shop'.

Owned by George Samuel Peeling of Barton Mills by 1926

House renamed the BELL INN 2010 following refurbishment.


 
See The BELL INN - A history by David Osborne, 2017.