NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
FIVE BELLS HOTEL UPWELL Index
NEW ROAD
SMALL LODE
CLACKCLOSE HUNDRED FULL LICENCE 01945 772222
CLACKCLOSE LICENCE REGISTERS September 1794 & PS 7/4/1 to PS 7/4/3 (1917 - 1949)
-  
STEWARD & PATTESON (Lease?) sold to Steward & Patteson 21st July 1896 by the Rev. Charles Francis Townley.
STEWARD & PATTESON Leasehold property - Purchased 27.10.1922 for £1350 according to S&P Trust Deed.
WATNEY MANN  
CALLITHEKY A part of Grand Metropolitan - Sold 1992
FREE HOUSE Graham Tidmas 1992
-
Purchased 2015 by Christopher Robinson & James Brighty
Licensees :
-  
HENRY TINGEY here 09.1777
JOHN BAKER 1794
-  
THOMAS HURST
& excise office
1830 -1831
MARY ANN HURST 1836
SUSAN HURST
Age 33
1841
THOMAS HAWKINS
age 37 in 1851
farming 50 acres
by 1845 - 1851
Mrs SARAH HAWKINS
age 43 in 1854
1854 - 1869
THOMAS THOMPSON HURST
(also as Hirst)
1875 - 1890
GEORGE HUMBERSTONE 1892 - 1909
WILLIAM PRUDEN 26.04.1909
JOSEPH KING 10.01.1921
ABE HUBBARD 19.07.1926
LOUIS PLUMER TURNER 06.01.1930
ROBERT ARNOLD BIDWELL 06.10.1947
MAURICE OWEN  1953
W GOOCH 1958
EDWARD McGILL 1967
PATRICK DORAN 1973
PATRICIA & LESLEY BANHAM 1980's
-  
GRAHAM TIDMAS (Bluey)
(b. 26.12.1942 - d. 17.03.2018)
1992
-  
CLOSED by 2015 - March 2018
COLIN JAKINS 04.2018

c1955

An auction was held here 24th September 1777.

Some time before October 1794 a woman, calling herself a doctress, called at the Inn and offered the Ostler some medicine to cure his ague. Within hours the patient was dead. Following an inquest, the woman was apprehended and committed to gaol.

The ROSE & CROWN was offered for sale by auction here, 29th May 1811.

Freehold for Sale by Auction Thursday 6th March 1845, with Brew-house, Stables, Gig House, Outbuildings, Orchard and Garden.
Possession from 6th April 1845.
Thomas Hawkins, tenant, to show the premises.

Commercial Hotel and Posting House.
As at Church Street 1851

Became the NORFOLK PUNCH HEALTH INN in 1980's

Back to the FIVE BELLS in 1992

Closed November 2014.
Re-opened Easter 2018 (by April 1st)

 

Update Dec 2012 thanks to William Smith