NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
FOX & HOUNDS WEASENHAM ALL SAINTS  Index
THE GREEN LAUNDITCH HUNDRED FULL LICENCE  
Deeds dated 1732 are between Esau Barrett of East Dereham a woolcomber, and John Kent, Ale House keeper.
Sold 1754, by Esau Barrett to John Carver, Wine Merchant of Wells and William Collison, common Brewer of Tittleshall.
House then named the WHITE HORSE
Mentioned 1766 by John Carver of Wells and William Hall of Tittleshall as being formerly the WHITE HORSE, now the DUKES HEAD.
LAUNDITCH LICENCE REGISTER 11th September 1794 & 14th SEPTEMBER 1795 and MITFORD & LAUNDITCH LICENCE REGISTERS 14.09.1795 & PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 ( 1901 - 1975 )
DEREHAM BREWERY Included in 1828 sale ( Fox & Hounds )
FAKENHAM BREWERY as deeds dated 1829 to 1872
STEWARD & PATTESON   
WATNEY MANN 03.05.1967
CHEF & BREWER November 1974
BRENT WALKER     
.    
Licensees :
THOMAS DOWNING * 1651
JOHN KENT to 1732
ESAU BARRETT &
ANN BARRETT
1745 - 1754
WILLIAM WHITBY 1789 - 1790
WILLIAM DURRANT 1792 - 1796/9
WILLIAM WARD 1822 - 1836
Mr. BRERETON 1842
WILLIAM PENTENY 1845
BRIGHTWELL BUCKENHAM 1846
JOHN SMITH
Age 60 in 1851
* 1851 - 1868
Mrs BARBARA JOPLIN 28.10.1868 - 1896
MEDWELL JOHN ROSS LINCOLN by 1900
CHARLES HARRY GREEN 15.10.1909
OSCAR DUNN 14.10.1910
ISABEL WARNER 13.10.1922
VICTOR JOHN MARSHALL PEELING 02.07.1948
ERIC EDWIN HENRY SAVILLE 06.04.1956
GEORGE JAMES STEVENS
( to retirement )
23.11.1956
GEORGE RONALD STEVENS 
( son )
12.10.1962
FREDDY & ELSIE SCARFFE
( Fred Ernest Scarffe  )
13.03.1964
ELSIE SCARFFE - late 1980's
Mr & Mrs CHAFER -
DAVID De La POLE -
PIP & BILL KINGDOM-CLARKE 1995 - 28.09.1998
CAROL & DANIEL ENNIFER from 28.09.1998
-  



Deeds date from 1732

Described in 1754 as comprising ` Public house, WHITE HORSE, houses stables, barns, outhouses, yards, gardens & orchards.'

Described 1766 as the DUKES HEAD, with outhouses, barns, stables, yards gardens & orchards and also the edifice or building formerly a decayed cottage or tenement now an outhouse and a new building for a stable erected on the lord's waste near the premises as they abut on the highway on the South.

Recorded 1789 & 1790 as the DUKES HEAD
as the FOX in 1792.
the FOX & HOUNDS 1793
but the CHASE 1794 & 1795
back to the FOX & HOUNDS 1796.

Shown as HORSE & HOUNDS on Fadens 1797 map.

William Ward appeared in the Insolvent Courts on Monday 21st March 1842. It was heard that on 25th October 1841 he had assigned all of his property to his landlord, Mr. Brereton of Fakenham, brewer and in consequence there was nothing left for his other creditors. Mr. Brereton stated that he was the landlord of the Fox & Hounds, which had previously been occupied by Mr. Ward. It seems Mr. Brereton had received £42 10s from the sale of Mr. Ward's property and the Commissioner asked by what right had he taken the payment. He was remanded till the money was paid to the Court.

6 day licence to 11.02.1949
then Full licence granted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Many thanks to Glynn Burrows for the update 10.02.2004