NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BOWLING GREEN WELLS next the Sea index
CHURCH STREET NORTH GREENHOE HUNDRED FULL LICENCE -
NORTH GREENHOE REGISTERS September 1789 & 10th September 1794 and NORTH GREENHOE LICENCE REGISTERS PS 27/8/1 to PS 27/8/2 (1903 - 1975)
DEREHAM BREWERY to 1828
STEWARD & PATTESON  
WATNEY MANN  
BRENT WALKER  
PUBMASTER to closure 1977
FREEHOUSE from 01.09.2001
Licensees :
-  
HENRY MINDHAM 1757
WILLIAM BRIGHTMER 1789 - 1794
ANN BRIGHTMER 1795
JOHN THURGER 1798
JOHN METCALF 1799
-  
JAMES GARNER 1822
JAMES NEWSON
Age 50 in 1841
1830 - 1850
JOHN YOUARD  age 40 1851
JOHN HUDSON * 1851 - 1854
ROBERT GRANGE 1856 - 1858
SAMUEL RICHMOND 1861
WILLIAM GILBERT
& flour dealer
1863 - 1865
ALFRED JOHN WHARF 1869 - 1871
WILLIAM GREEN
& coal dealer
* 1872
HENRY VALENTINE CADEMY 1875
AMBROSE CADAMY 1877
ROBERT ADCOCK
malster
1879 - 1881
ROBERT MORTIS by 1882
ROBERT LOWE 01.05.1905
RICHARD ROBINSON 06.11.1905
ROBERT THOMAS DRURY 02.11.1908
ELIZA DRURY 02.07.1917
GEORGE EDWARD LORD 05.11.1928
WALTER JAMES SALMON 05.01.1931
NELLIE ELIZABETH SALMON
(previously Nellie Pigot, nee Simmons)
01.03.1948
JACK WHYSALL 04.09.1950
EILEEN MAY WHYSALL
(Mollie)
01.09.1958
ALFRED FOSTER
& wife EILEEN
02.11.1963
to 1997
.RICHARD & SHEILA GRIFFITHS-JONES from 2001
-  

By 1754 Robert Curson was the owner. He died that year, passing ownership to his wife Ann Curson who died 19.10.1757. Their son, Henry Curson then took possession (died July 1759 aged 37).
Believed to be owned by Thomas Curson in 1763.

In 1798 Thomas Wordingham applied for a licence
on the behalf of John Thurger.

By October 1813 the house was owned by William Taylor.

Walter Salmon ran a small paraffin supply business from the outbuildings. Deliveries are believed to have been made by donkey and cart.

The house boasts a superb cellar, which includes a well.
Licensee Jack Whysall maintained a personal supply of Winter ``K'' Ale, brewed by S&P. A pin, not for sale, would be laid down and by June it is said to have matured into a `classic treacle '.

Landlord Alfred Foster also ran a seafood freezing business from the adjoining buildings. ``The first man to freeze whelks, exporting 6 tons a week......until supplies ran out by 1990's''.

House closed 1997 and planning permission granted April 1999 to convert into 2 dwelling houses.

But !
This historic house thankfully reopened 01.09.2001 as a Freehouse.