NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CROWN & ANCHOR WELLS next the Sea index
STAITHE STREET
Later at CHURCH MARSH
NORTH GREENHOE HUNDRED BEERHOUSE
later FULL LICENCE
CLOSED 1930
NORTH GREENHOE LICENCE REGISTERS PS 27/8/1 to PS 27/8/2 (1903 - 1975)
JOHN BUNN 1798
Sir CHARLES CHADD 1813 - 1856
MORGANS by 1903
BULLARDS by 1910 ( Given as a freehold property referred for Compensation 24.12.1930 )
Licensees :
-
ROBERT INGRAM 1795
JAMES NEAL 1798 - 1812
ANN NEAL 1822 - 1830
THOMAS HAYHOW 1836 - 1845
JOHN STOREY 1846
GEORGE RIX
age 55 in 1851
& farmer 60 acres
1850 - 1856
House closed - A Crown & Anchor opened at a new site by 1858
( eventually with Full licence )
ROBERT TINKER * 1858 - * 1864
Mrs CHARLOTTE LONG * 1865
THOMAS HAYHOW 1872
WILLIAM SMITH MEDWELL
& bill poster
( address as Station Road 1875 )
* 1875 - 1877
JOB WICK 1881 - 1896
FREDERICK SMITH 05.07.1897
JOHN WADE by 1903
WILLIAM DYSON 04.11.1912
EDITH MARY DYSON 01.11.1915
DAVID NORMAN 02.07.1917






In 1895, the son of John Wade, also called John, was killed in a shooting accident on Wells marshes. The inquest into his death was held at the Crown  ( Hotel ? )
The CROWN & ANCHOR - Church Marsh - Wells. © norfolkpubs
c1910

Owned by John Bunn in 1798

The house was located at Staithe Street to c1856.
The original house was converted into shops.

In 1858 another house named the CROWN & ANCHOR was open.
The address is given as Church Marsh in 1881, 1883 & 1912.
As at Church Road in 1922 & 1930.

House referred for Compensation 11.06.1930
& again 24.12.1930
Licence expired 31.12.1930

The latter house was demolished.
The area is now known as Maryland.


Image thanks to Dick Barham
John Wade ( and possibly adopted son `Sonny' ) c1910
Image thanks to Dick Barham - Grandnephew of John Wade