NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
OSTRICH WELLS next the Sea Index
BURNT STREET NORTH GREENHOE HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED by 1914
NORTH GREENHOE LICENCE REGISTERS PS 27/8/1 to PS 27/8/2 (1903 - 1975)
ELIJAH EYRES Offered for sale as a Copyhold Public House for sale by auction 22.07.1878
MORGANS Trading under the name of Elijah Eyres.
Licensees :
-
SAMUEL ELLIS 1821 - 1830
ROBERT BROWN 1836
WILLIAM GIBBS 1839
JOHN PORTER
See below and FLEECE INN
1845 - 1850
SEPPINGS HOOK (53) * 1851
JOHN CROW 1854
THOMAS CROW
& brewer
1854 - 1861
SUSANNAH CROW 1863 - 1865
JOHN BURTON 1868 - 1869
Fined £30 for fraudulently removing goods from the premises - application for a warrant to `distrain from fine' September 1870.
to be continued....
GEORGE CADAMY
& farmer 18½ acres
1871 - 1877
JOHN HAZELTON
& drayman & wine retailer
1879 - 1883
RICHARD BURGESS 1888 - 1892
ALFRED JAMES NEAVE 1896
LEWIS LOVEL FARROW 1900
WILLIAM CUBITT MOORE by 1903
to at least 1912



According to trade directories for 1845, 1846 and 1850, Mr John Porter was at the Ostrich.  However in 1847 all his stock and personal effects were offered for sale at the Fleece, for the benefit of his creditors.
Had all the possessions of Mr. Porter been removed to the FLEECE to be sold, or had he actually attempted to run the Fleece and failed? Did Mr Porter stay at or return to the Ostrich or was the 1850 directory entry in error?

Private dwelling owned by John Webber.
In 1813 ownership was surrendered in part, to Valentine Brett Dennis, brewer and owner of several public houses in Wells.
By 1821 Samuel Ellis was owner of the property and it had been converted to an inn.

~
Norfolk Chronicle - 13th October 1821 Samuel Ellis late of the ROYAL STANDARD INN, WELLS BEGS leave to return his most grateful thanks to GENTLEMEN TRAVELLERS , his friends, and the public in general, for the many favours conferred upon him during his seven years residence in the above Inn ; and further begs to state that he has removed to the OSTRICH INN in Burnt Street, Wells, which he has fitted up in a stile of comfort and accommodation that he hopes will ensure him a continuance of the support he has hitherto experienced, and which he shall ever gratefully acknowledge.
Neat Wines, Genuine Spirits, London Porter, & Ale
GOOD STABLING for Horses with CHAISE-HOUSES

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Offered To Let 11th June 1831 from Michaelmas.
Comprising an exceedingly commodious Dwelling-house, with good accommodation for Commercial Gentlemen (by whom it has been patronised for several years past) spacious yards, comfortable stables, lock-up coach-houses, and is replete with every convenience, and perfectly free, also about 34 acres of very superior Arable Land, in high state of cultivation, lying in Wells.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For sale by Auction Friday 19th May 1854, with Cottage, Barn, Stables, Yards and Outbuildings thereto belonging. Then in occupation of John Crow and James Tann, and lately of G. Lumley.
(James Tann was also in occupation of 8 lots of Arable Land in the same auction).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The licence register states that the house closed voluntarily, but no date is given.