NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BARN TAVERN NORWICH B index
1 DEREHAM ROAD   St BENEDICT CLOSED 1991
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 - PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
BULLARDS  
WATNEY MANN  
COURAGE from 26.01.1972
Licensees :
JAMES COLDHAM from 1859
Proceedings taken 18.02.1866 for being open out of hours.
January 1867 - Fine of 2s 6d and costs of 11s for second offence of selling beer on a Sunday morning at 10:15.
ANN COLDHAM 21.02.1871
ROBERT BACON
Licensed to let horses, cabs, gigs, etc for hire.
Hearses & mourning coaches on reasonable terms
13.05.1873
ROBERT MALLETT 26.03.1895
MARY JANE MALLETT 26.11.1907
HERBERT GODFREY CROPLEY 30.11.1909
Convicted 20.12.1927 of selling out of hours.
Fine £1 or 13 days
CAROLINE SUSAN JANE CROPLEY 20.11.1928
ERNEST VICTOR BROWNE 12.03.1929
FREDERICK MANN 08.05.1951
ALBERT ALFRED OLBY 12.05.1953
HORACE ALBERT CUSHING 07.01.1964
.
CHRIS WRIGHT 1980's
-

The sign - 1987 - Barry Wilkinson.
1987

Original house dated from 1859.
~

Destroyed by enemy action 27/29.04.1942.

Trading continued from a temporary wooden building to c1956 when new house opened.

Closed January 1972.

Reopened by 1980's.

Closed 1991

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1956 No 6 2 No
Design intended to aid visibility of traffic at the crossroads.
Three bay windows on ground floor, first floor has casement windows. All windows have small panes.
The Barn was almost totally destroyed in the 1942 Baedeker raids and for many years afterwards beer was served in a prefabricated building erected on the same site.