NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BARON OF BEEF NORWICH B index
MARKET PLACE St PETER MANCROFT - See SIR GARNET WOLSELEY
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 - PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
Mrs. HOOD as given 1867
CHARLES T. IVES of Kings Lynn by 1873
YOUNGS & Co by 1879
( BULLARDS ) ( 1958 )
Licensees :
-
JOHNSON HEMMELL by 1861
( SAMUEL BLYTH - SIR GARNET WOLSELEY ) 23.07.1874
JOHNSON HEMMELL 1883


On Saturday 25th July 1863, Elizabeth Warnes of Rose Lane, was charged by Johnson Hemnel of stealing a pewter mug. The lady had attended the upstairs dining room in the company of two others and they had ordered sandwiches, a pint of ale and a pint of porter. After the party had left it was noticed that the mug was missing. It was later found at the house of the accused, who claimed that she had merely borrowed the mug in order to finish her porter with her supper.
The case was dismissed since it was not proved that theft was intended.

It was reported that Johnson Hemnell applied for a ( full ) licence 29th August 1865 - It was granted.


According to the Licence Registers, the  name was changed to the
SIR GARNET WOLSELEY in 1874.

It appears that business of the BARON OF BEEF then relocated in adjacent premises standing on the corner of Gentlemans Walk and The Market Place, adjoining the ALBION. (  Which became a gas company showroom in the 1960's, latterly a book shop. )

Listed as Refreshment Rooms 1883 to 1900