NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BRANFORD STORES NORWICH Index
3 BRANFORD ROAD St. PAUL BEERHOUSE
FULL LICENCE from 1925
CLOSED JANUARY 2009
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 to 1967 )
STEWARD & Co   
WATNEY MANN 1967
NORWICH BREWERY    
BRENT WALKER  03.1988
PUBMASTER   
Licensees :
JONAS LAKE 21.08.1895
ROBERT BRUCE DOUGLAS 19.01.1909
JAMES JEREMIAH BALES 25.11.1924
GERTRUDE ELIZABETH BALES 20.11.1934
ARTHUR FULLER FRENCH 01.01.1935
WILLIAM CHARLES PAVELEY 09.10.1951
JOSEPH FRANCIS THOMPSON 03.01.1956
Convicted 28.02.1957 on 2 cases of selling out of hours..
Fine of £5 on each case
Convicted 28.02.1957 on 2 cases of allowing consumption out of hours..
Fine of £1 on each case
GEORGE WILLIAM GARMAN 30.09.1958
GORDON LESTER McDONALD 07.10.1969
PETER EDGAR 10.10.1978
NEIL STOCKLEY 04.05.1982
STEPHEN JAMES GOME 14.06.1983
ALBERT HARRIS 14.10.1986
DOUGLAS DAVID LUMSDAINE ( Lumsdale ? ) 27.04.1989
NICHOLAS JAMES LAMBERT &
CHRISTINE LAMBERT
06.07.1993
DEREK JOHN WILLIAMS 12.07.1994
ROBERT HEWIT JOSEPH &
JOSEPHINA VERRETT
27.06.1995
MICHELLE JANE KETTERIDGE &
LEO RICHARD EDWARDS
15.07.1997
LEO RICHARD EDWARDS 12.05.1998
JENNY & WINTON SIMPSON 17.08.1999 - 2009

The Branford - 29.04.2000
April 2000
Jonas and Isabella Lake, with daughter Blanche in the centre.
Jonas and Isabella Mary A. Lake. ( married 1867 )
Blanche Lake, shown in the centre, was the 6th of 10 children.
In 1901, at the age of 21, she was a barmaid at the Branford.

Thanks to Mrs. Winnie Neal for the images.

New licence granted to Jonas Lake 21.08.1895 in exchange for the licence of the FARRIERS ARMS. The licenses of the VICTORIA and the VILLA GARDENS were also given up for this new licence.

The premises were known at the time of licence being issued as the Branford Bakery, Pockthorpe.

Jonas Lake applied for an opening to be made between the Bakery and the Beerhouse as reported in the Norfolk Chronicle of 26.08.1899.
The opening was for ease of access by the applicant.
The Chief Constable objected on the grounds that each business should remain on separate premises.
The Bench refused the application.

Known as the BRANFORD ARMS from 1997.


Mr & Mrs McDonald

Interestingly the Branford Stores sign as shown above, was back on display by 01.2006.

Closed January 2009.
Plans announced September 2012 to convert into 4 flats with a further 3 to be built in the gardens. 

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1900 No 7 3 Yes
Brewers Tudor on gables.
Wooden and plaster designs on gables.
Walled along the Spencer Street side with iron railings.
Public Bar (Originally 2 rooms).
Basic with modern bar fittings.
Separate Lounge Bar given over to pool playing.
Largish, basic corner local.
No historic connections known.