NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BUSHEL NORWICH Index
27 St AUGUSTINE STREET St. AUGUSTINE - CLOSED 31.12.1928
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/3 (1867 to 1953)
STEWARD & Co Leasehold - Owned by Steward, Patteson, Finch & Co.
Licensees :
-
THOMAS FIDDIMAN
(Bushel & Strike)
*1728
ROBERT POWLEY
worsted weaver
1760 - 1763
JOHN WARDEN
& hotpresser
1806 - 1807
J. FLAXMAN 1822
ROBERT WIDDOWS 1830
WILLIAM HARPER 1836
HENRY WICK 1842
JOHN BUCK 1845 - 1846
ROBERT FAUX
age 65 in 1851
*1850 - 1854
SAMUEL GIDNEY 1856 - 1859
JOHN BULLOCK by 1861
20.07.1861 - fine of £1 for having two deficient measures in his possession.
Convicted 03.09.1874 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 2/6d plus 9/- costs or 7 days detention.
See below.
ALFRED GREEN 11.10.1877
JONATHAN HARVEY 10.10.1878
HENRY JAMES LINCOLN 02.01.1894
WILLIAM PARKERSON 14.08.1894
FRANK MUSSON 19.01.1904
BENJAMIN COOPER 05.04.1905
FREDERICK JAMES PEART 16.01.1906
NELLIE PEART 13.06.1911
to closure


It was reported that the conviction in September 1874 was the first case heard in Norwich, under the New Licensing Act (Section 12). In accordance with the provisions of the Act, the Magistrates inspected the Register of Licenses to ascertain if there had been previous convictions against the house. None were found and it was declared that no record of this conviction was to be made.
Under the old Act, the minimum fine that could be inflicted by the Bench was 20s.


Probably the same as the
BUSHEL & STRIKE
as mentioned in the Norwich Gazette of 21st September 1728.
"Samuel Gains, jun. and Samuel Morris, will sit at Mr. Thomas Fiddimen's at the Bushel & Strike in St Augustines Parish in Norwich, where will be given constant Attendance every Friday and Saturday till Noon, to buy Barley and other Grains, and will give as good prices as any Person whoever, and on Saturdays in the Afternoon, they will sit at the Kings Head in the Market Place; and will also buy, any Day in the week, at my shop in St. Andrew's; The Corn will be taken in at Fyebridge Staith, and at the Cockey in St. Andrew's."

Licence provisionally refused 08.02.1927 and referred to Compensation.

Closed by Compensation 31.12.1928

Site became a chemists shop.

Thanks 21.06.06 to Stuart McLaren for the 1728 information.