NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CANTERBURY TAVERN NORWICH C index
Canterbury index
12 WESTLEGATE St. JOHN TIMBERHILL FULL LICENCE to 1894 CLOSED 20.12.1924
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 & PS 1/8/2 ( 1867 - 1925 )
MORGANS   
ELIJAH CROSIER BAILEY of Surrey Street 1880
CANN & CLARKE From 1884 - Included in the sale of the Wymondham Brewery to Morgans 11.05.1894
MORGANS From 25.03.1845
Licensees :
THOMAS FOULSHAM
( Licence renewed 20.08.1862 )
04.09.1860 - 1864
CHARLES OSBORNE by 1865
JOHN AYLMER 08.04.1873
GEORGE TATTAM 11.12.1877
WILLIAM WALTON 11.05.1880
GEORGE STANNARD 31.12.1881
OSCAR ERNEST SHREEVE 28.01.1884
Convicted 16.08.1884 of allowing disorderly, riotous & quarrelsome conduct.  Fine £3 plus £1/1/- costs or 1 months detention.
JAMES MITCHELL (manager ?)
According to Kelly 1888 & White 1890
- Does not appear in Licence Register
(1888 - 1890)
WILLIAM TILLOTT ( 1892 )
LUCY TILLOTT 13.02.1893
WALTER DUNHAM 11.02.1896
ALFRED SCARFF 19.12.1899
WILLIAM ROBERT DOWNES 08.10.1907
ALFRED SCARFF 13.02.1911
JOHN WOODHOUSE HOLDEN 22.08.1916

 

The Canterbury - Extreme right
The Canterbury c1910 - Extreme right.
The entrance to livery stables is just in view.

Given as the CANTERBURY CONCERT HALL in 1868
& CANTERBURY HALL in 1862 & 1890.

Also referenced as at All Saints Parish.

Location given as between Mr. Bedingfield's stables and Mr. Mackley's on Westlegate in 1860.

The house gained a new licence at the Annual Licensing Session held Tuesday 4th September 1860.


Licence renewed at Sessions held 19th August 1862.
One of several houses where the licensee had been proceeded against during the year. The offences, for which summonses had been issued were either for selling beer out of hours, for allowing gambling or for permitting persons of bad character to assemble.

Spirit licence dropped 1894 when house taken over by Morgans Brewery.

Licence provisionally refused 05.02.1924 and referred to Compensation.
Closed under Compensation 20.12.1924.