NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
COCK & HOUSE NORWICH C index
DUKE STREET
SOUTHGATE STREET
St. MARY AT COSLANY FULL LICENCE CLOSED c1862?
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 ( 1867 to 1894 )
STEWARD & Co Freehold owned by George Morse
Licensees :
ROBERT FIDDEMAN
Cock & Dove
1760 - 1764
PHILIP FRANCIS
Cock Tavern
1783
WILLIAM GREEN 1806 - 1810
Mrs GREEN
widow
1822
JOSHUA BLACKBONE 1830
JAMES RECORD 1839 - 1842
JAMES DAWSON 1845
* THOMAS B. HAYDEN
age 46 in 1851
parish clerk & victualler
1851
WILLIAM TILNEY 1854 - * 1858
ROBERT HICKLING
( Cock Houses 1861 )
* 1859 - 1864
20.07.1861 - fine of £5 plus 11s costs for having ten deficient measures in his possession - In default committed to two months' imprisonment
GILES MADGE 29.03.1864

 


Lot 6 in a sale held at the WOOLPACK, St. Giles, 17th November 1813. Then described as `All that Freehold dwelling, late the COCK & HOUSE, St. Mary's but now divided into tenements in the occupation of Claxton, Southerland, Box and Wright.'
( Did the licence transfer to different premises c1813 ?)

Found in the 1861 census as the COCK HOUSES. The census locates the house on the corner of Duke Street and Southgate Street. This appears to place the house at the same site as the GARIBALDI which first appears 1865.

See also COCK & DOVE

House no 341 on 1845 Magistrates list