NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CURRIERS ARMS NORWICH C index
Curriers Arms Index
114 ESSEX STREET
UNION STREET
SOUTH HEIGHAM FULL LICENCE CLOSED 1942
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
YOUNGS & Co  
GRIMMER & Co 1872
LACONS before 1924
Licensees :
CHARLES READ
age 55 in 1841
1839 - 1850
JAMES BRIGGS
age 25 in 1851
& carrier
1850 - 1851
WILLIAM NORTON
Died Sunday 28th March 1858 "after a long and painful affliction of 14 years' duration"
1854 - 1858
Mrs MARIA NORTON 1858 - 1859
GEORGE TOWNSEND BULL by 1864
HARRIETT BULL 1867 - 1869
FRANCIS KEEBLE 11.10.1869
ELIZABETH STEWART 26.06.1888
WILLIAM ROBERT PLUMSTEAD 13.08.1889
HERBERT BURRAGE 14.05.1895
WILLIAM FRANCIS CLAXTON 11.08.1896
ROBERT HICKS FIDDY 09.05.1899
JAMES GIBBS 10.10.1901
HADDERREZER BENJAMIN GOFF 17.06.1902
HORACE UNDERWOOD 16.06.1903
HENRY COLE 28.08.1906
WILLIAM YAXLEY 13.10.1908
ALBERT HENRY AMOS 01.01.1935
SAMUEL GEORGE BRADFIELD 15.10.1935
WILLIAM THOMAS GAMBLE
(to destruction 1942)
06.04.1936
HARRY BURGESS 29.12.1942


Address as Crooks Place 1845, Union Street in 1854 & 1879
and Mill Street in 1868.

On the night of Sunday 17th November 1850, E. Clarke of Crook's Place entered the house and had a glass of brandy. Calling for more, the landlord, James Briggs, refused to serve him since he thought Clarke to be tipsy.
Leaving the house, Clarke threw a stone, through a window. An hour later he returned and broke ten or twelve more panes and knocked down the landlord. Constable Osborne was called and suffered an attempted bite from Clarke. Other policemen who assisted in taking the offender to the police-station were also assaulted.
The following day Clarke was fined £5 for assaulting the police and unable to pay, was sentenced to one month's hard labour. He was due to be prosecuted for the damage upon his release, unless the amount due was paid in the meantime.

Destroyed by enemy action 27/29.04.1942.

House did not reopen but licence was held until 11.10.1960 when provisional removal to the UNIVERSITY ARMS was granted.
(Removal declared final 21.11.1961)