NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CROWN NORWICH C index
Crown index
12 St. STEPHENS STREET St. STEPHEN - DEMOLISHED 1834
-
Licensees :
-  
WILLIAM COBB 1763 - 1764
ROBERT CHALKER June 1780 - 1783
JOHN SMITH 1791 - 1798
SAMUEL STIMPSON
(Creditors to meet Saturday 12th June 1802 to settle their debts)
1802
Widow EDWARDS 1810
J. STRINGER 1822
WILLIAM BUMFREY 1829
EDWARD DAVEY 1830
JOHN SPRATT to 1834


All Justices of the Peace were required to assemble at the sign of the CROWNE, St. Stephens Street, 11th January 1586.

Robert Chalker commenced at the Crown on 22nd June 1780, having previously been at the Rampant Horse.
He laid in a fresh Stock of neat Wines, Spirituous Liquors and Tomson's Nog.

One of 40 houses named as being engaged for the Reception of Freeholders for Sir John Woodhouse and Sir Edward Astley's Friends on the Day of Election, Wednesday 14th April 1784.

Advertised for sale December 1792 including very large Malthouse and Granaries adjoining.

~
John Smith is named at the Crown in the 1791 British Universal Directory.
However on 20th September 1794, John Smith of Pulham, announced that he had agreed to hire the Inn from 29th September 1794.

John Smith advertised the house to Let in November 1794. He advised that he was in ill health and had a desire for the country. He still appears to have been at the house some four years later.
~
A Valuable Freehold Property to be sold by Auction Saturday 15th August 1829.
Lot 1 being a Substantially built Malting Office containing a 60 coomb steep, two working floors, with barley and malt chambers, kiln and all other convenient buildings. Situated in Crown Inn Yard and abutting upon St. Stephen's Back-lane.
Lot 2 being the Crown Inn, situated in St. Stephen's Street with spacious Stables, Granaries, Gig House and large Yard - In occupation of Mr. Bumfrey. Standing remarkably well for town and county business with Retail Liquor Shop next to the street.
Lot 3 - Two Granaries and two Stables adjoining the Malting Office.
All for Immediate Possession.

~
John Spratt, late of the Crown Inn, advised the public, 25th October 1834 that on account of the Crown Inn being about to be pulled down, he had taken the Angel, and which, in compliance with the wishes of many Old Supporters of both Houses, will be called the CROWN & ANGEL.