NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
DOLPHIN NORWICH D index
Dolphin Index
252 HEIGHAM STREET HEIGHAM FULL LICENCE CLOSED JULY 1999
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
St. MARTINS BREWERY A leasehold property advertised for sale 11th October 1794.
JOHN MORSE 1822 (Oak Street Brewer)
STEWARD & Co c1830 - Freehold owned by George Morse as Trust Deeds dated 1837 to 1851.
STEWARD & PATTESON  
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
SPRING INNS  
Licensees :
-  
JOSEPH BURTON 1715 - 1752
THOMAS SPEIGHT
woolcomber
1760 - 1764
HENRY SLACK 1768
STEPHEN BURROWS
(Borough 1802, Borroughs 1822)
1802 - 1822
JOHN READ 1830
RICHARD PIGGIN 1836
WILLIAM CUSTANCE
age 44
1841
ELIZABETH CUSTANCE
& Bath House & Ferry
1842
ROBERT STEWARD 1845 - 1846
JOHN STAMFORD 1850
SAMUEL LEGGATT
age 40 in 1851
1851 - 1854
ROBERT GIRLING
according to Craven
1856
THOMAS MAXWELL
according to Melville
1856
H PEGG 1858
Accused Tuesday 21st September 1858 of having house open for the sale of beer on the previous Sunday morning at illegal hours. Costs paid.
THOMAS MAXWELL 1859 - 1864
THOMAS RANT by 1865
FRANCIS FREDERICK RANT 10.10.1879
Convicted 26.08.1881 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 5/- plus 7/- costs.
Convicted 10.10.1891 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine £2 plus 7/- costs or 14 days detention.
JAMES CAREY
(retired to private life)
24.11.1891
HERBERT ALFRED BAKER 28.11.1911
EMILY BAKER 15.07.1918
HERBERT ALFRED BAKER 13.05.1919
BERTIE SAMUEL ELLIS
(went to Free Trade Tavern 1942)
24.07.1934
Convicted 04.05.1935 of selling out of hours.
Fine £1 or 13 days detention.
Convicted 23.02.1937 of selling out of hours.
Fine £2.
Destroyed by enemy action 27/29th April 1942
SAMUEL HORACE BEALES 25.08.1942
CLIFFORD GEORGE WILLIAMS 11.07.1944
FREDERICK CYRIL HEWITT 17.08.1948
LOUIS REGINALD CANHAM 14.06.1955
GERALD LESLIE STAUNTON BATTY 11.10.1960
WALTER EDWARD EASTER 10.10.1961
GERALD HENRY WRIGHT 24.11.1964
PERCY RUSH 23.04.1968
ANTHONY NORMAN MAY 18.07.1972
JOHN EDWARD LEMMON 11.03.1975
PETER RAYMOND DRAKE 14.10.1975
JOHN EDWARD LEMMON 08.06.1976
(CAROL & CHRIS PLEASANCE - managers) June 1976
ROGER ANTHONY COOPER 24.07.1981
DAVID WILLIAM & ALISON JANE HENRY 25.05.1984
.ROYSTON LAMONT &
PATRICIA LAMONT
30.10.1990
MICHAEL JOHN LORENZ &
BARRY GEORGE GASKIN
02.06.1992
JOHN FELLOWS &
ROSEMARY ANN VICTORIA FELLOWS
27.04.1993
TERENCE JOHN DOWSON &
LINDA JOYCE WEBER
23.08.1994
RICHARD JOHN WESLEY 16.05.1995
DAVID GEORGE GOODE &
MAUREEN ANN SMITH
31.10.1995
STEPHEN PETER KIRBY &
DEBRA MICHELLE KIRBY
13.02.1996
CHRISTINE PAMELA MORGAN 16.09.1997
STEPHEN RAYMOND ANDREWS 17.08.1999
-  
-  


 The DOLPHIN - Heigham c1910
c1910

The initials of Richard Brunne appear over the front door.
He is said to have built the (original) house in 1541.

Building recorded at this site in 1587.
A date stone reads 1615.

Originally a Bishops Palace.
(As Bishops Hall Palace in 1643)

Gutted by incendiary bomb 27.04.1942.

Trading recommenced 12.06.1944 when temporary premises known as `The Hut' opened. 
(The Justices authorised reopening 11.07.1944).

Closed 16.05.1955 with licence held in suspense.
88 barrels of beer sold in the year before closure..

Rebuilt by Steward & Patteson to open in 1960.

Closed & boarded up July 1999.
Offered for sale as a private dwelling January 2000.
Damaged by fire 11.04.2001

 

 

 

 

 

House no. 510 in 1845 Magistrates list.

 

 

 

 

See page 76 of Norwich In Old Postcards - Vol 2 - Published 1989.

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1604
<As given on condensed information sheet>
No 9 3 No
Main structure dates from 1587.
The front wall is original, the remainder rebuilt 1960 (?) following war damage.
Original door lock by S. Moore, dated 1786, is preserved in glass case.
Original font on wall in bar, as are ceiling centres.
Original brick fireplace.
One bar with modern fittings.
Built by the Sheriff of Norwich, R. Browne, as a summer residence.
Taken by Bishop (of Norwich) Hall as his summer palace.
Landlord 1986 claims house first recorded as an inn in 1715 when Joseph Burton given as Innkeeper.