NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
DUKES TAVERN NORWICH D index
12 TOMBLAND St. GEORGE TOMBLAND FULL LICENCE CLOSED 01.09.1908
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/2 ( 1867 to 1925 )
YOUNGS & Co as given 1867
Licensees :
-  
GEORGE ELLIOTT 1856
SAMUEL HINCHLEY 1858 - 1859
CLEMENT FRANKLIN by 1864
THOMAS BETTS 03.03.1868
BARNARDO BANCALARI 16.10.1875
EVERETT PICTON SWANN 25.06.1878
ROBERT MOORE 10.10.1879
RICHARD STEPHENS 23.03.1886
ARTHUR GRAVER 06.11.1888
GEORGE ERNEST COOK 10.10.1893
FRANCIS EDWARD KERRIDGE 25.06.1895
JOHN GEORGE ABBOTT 20.08.1904
EDWARD JERMY 29.08.1905
WILLIAM DACK 11.06.1907



Stood opposite the Erpingham Gate.

Given as the FLEECE & DUKES HEAD 1869.

Thomas Betts was accused 13th June 1872 of being drunk and riotous.
His address given as the DUKE OF WELLINGTON.

Recorded 17th March 1888 as formerly the FLEECE and as the property of John Youngs the Elder.

At the 1908 Sessions it was heard that the house was, according to the police, `Small & inconvenient'.
The previous tenant ( Edward Jermy ) had been the subject of complaints. 
There were 9 other licensed houses within 200 yards.

Licence provisionally refused 05.02.1908 and referred to Compensation.

Closed under Compensation 01.09.1908.