NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
DUKE OF SUSSEX NORWICH D index
Duke Of Sussex
12 St. STEPHENS STREET St. STEPHEN 6 DAY LICENCE CLOSED by 1955
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
BARWELL to c1920
TOLLEMACHE IPSWICH BREWERY  
TOLLEMACHE BREWERIES IPSWICH 08.04.1939
Licensees :
-  
JOHN BARWELL by 1845
JOHN BARWELL senior &
JOHN BARWELL junior
by 1867
JOHN BARWELL &
HENRY GEORGE BARWELL
10.10.1876
JOHN EDRIC HAYWARD BARWELL &
BERTRAM PHILIP PARIS BARWELL
21.08.1894
JOHN EDRIC HAYWARD BARWELL 03.02.1920
HENRY PARKER WARD 05.04.1921
ARTHUR DOUGLAS BARWELL 14.03.1939
WILLIAM VICTOR PAIGE 20.11.1951



The cellars were believed to date from the 1400's.

A 6 day licence was held from the 1870's to 1953.

Not a surprise that the house was known as BARWELLS for much of its life.

The house is believed to have been destroyed in 1942, if not severely damaged. (This was the same raid 27/29.04.1942 that caused the loss of the BOARS HEAD)  Trading may have continued from temporary premises but by 1955 it is noted that the house is closed and demolished.

 

House no. 92 on 1845 Magistrates list.