NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
FREE TRADE TAVERN NORWICH F index
Free Trade Index
35 St PETERS STREET
HAYMARKET
St PETER MANCROFT   CLOSED 1948
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 - 1965)
FRANCIS of Newmarket Road
STEWARD, PATTESON, FINCH & Co 1879
BULLARDS  
Licensees :
GEORGE JAY
(First licence)
1868
SOPHIA JAY 06.04.1875
BENJAMIN WEBB 14.03.1878
JAMES LIONEL CHAPMAN (?) 25.03.1879
JOHN WILLIAM GRAY junior 04.10.1927
ALBERT ERNEST SAYER 05.04.1932
Convicted 26.01.1937 of selling out of hours.
Fine £2
Closed 07.1940 - Reopened 05.1942
LOUIS REGINALD CANHAM 27.08.1940
BERTIE SAMUEL ELLIS from 1942 ?


The Free Trade by George Plunkett - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002 - shown by permission
20.08.1936
Image by George Plunkett - shown by permission - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002

Also found as the FREE TRADE INN.

Full licence granted Tuesday 25th August 1868 to George Jay.

intention was to close for the duration of the war.
Damaged by enemy action 27/29.04.1942
House reopened 26.05.1942

It seems that in the 1940's the house was known as the CROOKED BILLET.
Pat Pass remembers that when her grandfather Bertie Ellis ran the place.....
` It was known as the Crooked Billet, partly due to the building itself but more likely to the dubious backroom activities involving clothing coupons, the dilution of gin with distilled water from the garage next door and cakes. Still have no idea about the origin of the cakes but perhaps Bertie had contacts with someone from Ashworth & Pikes! '

Licence transferred to the MARLPIT 06.07.1948

Demolished in early 1960's