NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
GRAPES NORWICH L index P index S index
G index Grapes index
1 EARLHAM ROAD
St. GILES GATE
HEIGHAM FULL LICENCE CLOSED NOVEMBER 1989
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 - PS 1/8/3  ( 1867 - 1953 )
NORGATE as given 1843 & 1867
GEORGE MAY 1887
ALLSOP & Co of Burton On Trent, 1890
Major E. CUTHBERT QUILTER of London c1905
HENRY MONTAGUE 1924
Messrs HUNTER & OLIVER Ltd. of Bury St. Edmunds by 1953
Licensees :
-  
WILLIAM BLAKE 1810
........ 1811
F. ROGERS 1822
GEORGE ROBERT JOHNSON
age 50 in 1841
1830 - 1843
Mr. CLARE BOWLES 18.08.1843
CHARLES HOWARD
1844 - 1845
THOMAS HOWARD
according to White
1845
Mrs ANN WIGGINS 1846 - 1847
JAMES ROYAL
age 29 in 1851
1850 -  1851
WILLIAM ROGERS by November 1851
JOHN MURNANE
Went to the BELL by 04.1855
1854
JAMES CLARKE by 04.1855
Proceedings were taken 30.01.1866 for being open out of hours.
(William DeCeaux - Grapes Tap) ( 1856 )
HENRY WILLIAM OWLES 27.06.1871
SAMUEL WILLIAM MORRIS 31.12.1878
GEORGE MAY 10.05.1887
FREDERICK JAMES 21.10.1890
GEORGE FRANCIS CRANE 03.02.1892
JOHN DAWSON 10.10.1894
THOMAS EDWARD POWELL 30.12.1902
ELLEN MARY ALLCOCK 26.07.1904
HENRY ROMER 29.11.1904
EDGAR HENRY THOMAS HOWARD 07.02.1910
ARTHUR BEEVOR PALMER 26.11.1912
FREDERICK JOSEPH ELLIS 21.11.1916
WILLIAM JOHN WEARN 19.11.1918
HENRY MONTAGUE 17.06.1924
HERBERT JACKSON 17.07.1928
LEOFRIC JOHN HUNTER 21.10.1930
GEORGE MAURICE BAKER 08.02.1944
   

 

c1950 - showing the remains of the original corner bar and the new house behind. Thanks to Mrs. E. H. Butt
Image provided by Mrs. E. H. Butt showing the remnants of the old Grapes with the new house behind .

The house was engaged for Freeholders, the Friends of Sir Edward Astley, Bart. and Thomas William Coke, Esq. on Wednesday 14th April 1784, being the Day of Election. (One of 53 such houses in Norwich)
Location given as `Out of St. Giles' Gates'

Address as St. Giles Gate in 1830.
As the GRAPES INN, St. Giles Gate when offered to let May 1843.
( Respectable references required - Apply to Mr. Norgate at St. Stephens )
The BOARS HEAD ( Late GREYHOUND ) was also to let and both houses were described as One Concern.

For sale by auction Thursday 20th April 1843 upon the instructions of the proprietor, Mr. Johnson, who was retiring from business. `One of the best Market Houses in the City' in full trade and stables for 100 horses.
Containing two dining rooms, two parlours, upper sitting room, porter room, tap room, 10 sleeping rooms (making up 16 beds), pantries, store-rooms, conveniently situated bar, cooking kitchen, scullery, water closet and all convenient offices, with spacious wine, beer and coal cellars.
A spacious Yard, well adapted for building upon, adjoining West End Cottage, was also for sale as a separate lot.

Mr. Clare Bowles  announced that he was to enter the Inn on 18th August 1843. Guinness's Dublin Stout, and Combe, Delafield & Co's. London Stout Porter, and Allsopp's India Ale would be available in Casks, Bottles and on Draught.

Charles Howard, late of the Kings Arms Hotel, East Dereham, announced March 1844 that he had taken the establishment and offered a Liberal Market Ordinary at Three o'clock on Saturdays.


It was reported April 1847 that Ann Wiggins lived with her mother, who ran the GRAPES. ( Also Ann?)

Offered To Let 15th January 1848 with Early Possession.

Mr. James Royall, announced 19th January 1850, that his Opening Dinner would be held on Friday 25th January 1850. Tickets to be had at the Bar for 10s 6d.

James Clarke reported that the old established Hotel had undergone a thorough repair - 21st April 1854.

James Clarke Announced September 1864 that the Grapes Hotel Restaurant, adjoining the Grapes Hotel, had been opened for the Sale of Cooked Provisions of every description. Home-cured Hams, Bacon, Tongues, &c. of first rate quality. A regular supply of Fresh Butter, Poultry and Eggs. Pickles of all sorts, Vinegar, &c., &c. Refreshment Rooms attached with Wines, Liquors, London & Dublin Stout, India Pale, Burton, Bullards and other Ales in high perfection.

Destroyed by fire 1942.

It was confirmed 01.11.1950 that the new premises were nearing completion with the intention of opening to the public from 03.11.1950.

A letter dated 10.08.1957 states the intention to close the public house part of the premises, but to continue with Off Licence Trade.

Bar operated here known as the GRAPES TAP in 1856 and 1865.

Listed 1956 as the GRAPES BAR, ( Hunter & Oliver Ltd )

Bar later operating as SIDEEKYS 1985 - 1987
then PLATTERS 1987 to 1988
and finally the LAST RESORT 1988 to closure November 1989.

House no. 496 on 1845 Magistrates list