NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
GOLDEN BALL NORWICH Index
18 - 19 CATTLE MARKET STREET ST MICHAEL AT THORN BEERHOUSE CLOSED 23.03.1962
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 to 1965)
St MARTINS BREWERY Part of Lot No. 1, a leasehold property, for sale by auction as advertised 11th October 1794
DONALD STEWARD Owner as given 1867
WILLIAM PLAYFORD by 1869
Reps. of the late W PLAYFORD 1893
BULLARDS by 1923
Licensees :
-
MATTHEW BUTTIFANT
cordwainer 1760
worsted weaver 1763
1760 - 1783
WILLIAM HOUGHTON 1806 - 1807
JAMES CARVER 1810 - 1816
J PAGE 1822
WILLIAM GIRLING
age 51 in 1851
1830 - 1859
JOHN HARDY
& shoemaker
04.09.1860 - 1861
CHARLES THOMPSON 1864
WILLIAM HARVEY 1865
DONALD STEWARD *1867
WILLIAM PLAYFORD 1869 to 1893
JANE ELLEN PLAYFORD 08.08.1893
WILLIAM MICHAEL ANDREWS 16.01.1906
Convicted 04.04.1918 of selling out of hours -
Fine £5 or 13 days detention.
CHARLES HOGG 25.11.1919
EDWIN THOMAS ELLIOTT 08.02.1932
Convicted 10.02.1933 of permitting drunkenness -
Fine £5 or 1 months detention.

Convicted 10.02.1934 of selling out of hours -
Fine £2 or 21 days detention.

JOHN ARTHUR HAMMOND 05.04.1938
Mrs HAMMOND 20.08.1957
PERCY SHEPHEARD 16.05.1961


Supplied by P. Field
c1950

Address given as :-
Castle Ditches 1783
Castle Hill 1830
Cattlemarket 1836
Golden Ball Street 1845
Golden Ball Lane....
18 Cattle Market Street in 1900 - 1908
18 & 19 Cattle Market Street in 1912 - 1937

For sale by auction 15th February 1811, advantageously situated next the cattle market on the Castle Ditches, with large yard, a spacious stable and a piggery, well adapted for the accommodation of persons resorting to the market with their cattle. In the occupation of Mr. James Carver.

Offered To Let April 1814. The most desirable Situation in Norwich for a Dealer in Stock, Hay or Corn, Seed or Liquor Merchant.
Possession at Michaelmas.

In November 1815, twenty acres of Capital Turnips were advertised for sale - Apply of Mr. Carver, Golden Ball Inn.

Mr. C. Thompson of the Golden Ball advertised 5th November 1864 that a beer engine, in excellent preservation, being only installed for three months, was For Sale.

Stood on the corner of Cattlemarket Street and Rising Sun Lane.
The licensing records state that the house was previously the Rising Sun. However both houses are listed 1865 and before. William Playford appears at the Rising Sun from at least 1851 to 1867. It seems that when the RISING SUN closed c1867 William Playford took on the GOLDEN BALL and the licence from the RISING SUN came with him.

1868 reference states that licence was dropped, this is presumably the Full Licence from the original GOLDEN BALL dropped to the Beerhouse licence of the previous RISING SUN?

The property was compulsory purchased according to note from Customs Office dated 23.03.1962 and trading was (said to be temporarily) discontinued.

Name `recently' removed from licence register according to document dated 23.11.1966